The one and only radio thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty cool, covers a TON of bands, but I would go with a radio removed from a police/fire/public service vehicle. You cant beat the durability and performance of a public service radio. I have a Kenwood TK-790H that came out of a Ambulance. Its 110 Watts, has a remote face, and I got it for ~$250 on ebay.

--John

D

Deleted member 12951

I have the Baofeng with the antenna that came with it. Where do you get a better one with more range? Was planning on using it for snoball.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Baofeng with the antenna that came with it. Where do you get a better one with more range? Was planning on using it for snoball.

You'll want a truck mounted antenna. 5" preferably.

I picked up the following for my Wouxun from www.powerwerx.com
Although it's only a 3"mag mount.

WXMAG-ST Magnetic Mount Dual-Band Antenna with Coax Cable Standard SMA 1 $39.99

You can also try
Www.TheAntennfarm.Com

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

@NickPic83 just got a new antenna for his BaoFeng.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Last edited:

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You'll want a truck mounted antenna. 5" preferably.

I picked up the following for my Wouxun from www.powerwerx.com
Although it's only a 3"mag mount.

WXMAG-ST Magnetic Mount Dual-Band Antenna with Coax Cable Standard SMA 1 $39.99

You can also try
Www.TheAntennfarm.Com

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

@NickPic83 just got a new antenna for his BaoFeng.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

I got the tram 1185 mag mount and a smc to BNC adapter and a BNC to so-239 adapter for easier hook up. Its no high power setup but it worked well

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12951

Thanks. I was behind a guy when off-roading on some trails in Michigan that had the magnet base antenna and it kept falling off, stopped several times to put it back on until he got tired of messing with it and threw it back in the cab.

I have a light bar rack that I could mount the antenna if the cable can reach and go through the rear window with it closed enough for snoball?

Guess I need to research how to mount the handheld too. I do have the two-way receiver adapter.

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. I was behind a guy when off-roading on some trails in Michigan that had the magnet base antenna and it kept falling off, stopped several times to put it back on until he got tired of messing with it and threw it back in the cab.

I have a light bar rack that I could mount the antenna if the cable can reach and go through the rear window with it closed enough for snoball?

Guess I need to research how to mount the handheld too. I do have the two-way receiver adapter.

That was James, on the WI trip most of us ended up with them in the bed due to low hanging branches. I had mine mounted on the top of the ammo cans in holding my gear in my chase rack. Now I have an NMO mount on the rear drivers side stake pocket.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my mag antenna held up great except for when i hit some bigger tree branches. it even stood up to small branches, i could hear it getting whacked every so often

WReX24

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here's the setup I've used for about a year and over several runs including Havoc II and the corresponding convoy from the northeast. This will allow you to plug your radio directly into the 12 volt charger, so you won't need to worry about keeping spare batteries, and the external mic allows for ease of use. The other adapters allow for quick removal from the truck and conversion back to handheld mode if necessary.

It's important to remember, that adding an external antenna will never give your handheld more transmitting power, it only serves to increase line of sight. That being said, someone who's 12 feet tall can see a hell of a lot further than someone who's 5 feet tall. I've effectively communicated with other trucks over several miles with this setup, and have the ability to receive transmissions from much further out than I can transmit.