The one and only radio thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bought / recommended this combination for a few of the guys coming to the White Lake run. It is a hand held Wouxun unit that performs well and is water proof to boot! All for $124 through Amazon. Free two day shipping if you have Prime Membership.

Radio (~$90):
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF Dual Band Two Way Radio
The Wouxun KG-UVD-1P Dual-Dand handheld commercial transceiver provides up to 5 Watts of RF power on VHF and 4 Watts on UHF.
IP55 Waterproof
Amazon.com: Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF Dual Band Two Way Radio (Black): Car Electronics

Mic / Speaker (~$12):
Wouxun SMO-001 Remote Speaker Two Features: * 2 Pin (1x 3.5mm and 1 x 2.5mm Jacks) * These is 3.5mm earpiece socket on the underside for privacy usage * Back with strong clip and convenient for use ...
Amazon.com : Wouxun SMO-001 Remote Speaker : Two Way Radio Headsets : Car Electronics

Whip Antenna (~$17)
Authentic Genuine Nagoya NA-771 15.6-Inch Whip VHF/UHF (144/430Mhz) Antenna SMA-Female
Amazon.com: Authentic Genuine Nagoya NA-771 15.6-Inch Whip VHF/UHF (144/430Mhz) Antenna SMA-Female for AnyTone, BaoFeng, and Yaesu: Car Electronics

Programming Cable (~$4):
Amazon.com : Baofeng USB Programming Cable for Baofeng Two way Radio UV-5R, BF-888S, BF-F8+ With Driver CD : Computer Usb Cables : Car Electronics

Hi Joe
I have been looking at a handheld for out of the truck at Snoball I have a 50w mounted radio in the truck. What I have found is that the guys that used them as their primary radio were harder to hear as we spaced out on the trail. What is you experience/Feedback with this set up I assume good but a little real world detail would help me to decide which one to buy.
W.G.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi Joe
I have been looking at a handheld for out of the truck at Snoball I have a 50w mounted radio in the truck. What I have found is that the guys that used them as their primary radio were harder to hear as we spaced out on the trail. What is you experience/Feedback with this set up I assume good but a little real world detail would help me to decide which one to buy.
W.G.
Typically with the hand held for recoveries and what not, either Baofung or the Wouxun works well. I like the Wouxuns better because of the ease of use and the waterproof. The remote mic is really nice.

If you take the hand held into the truck, I recommend a magnetic mounted antenna for it.

Vote for your favorite pic
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f18/january-2017-calendar-vote-46906/
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bought / recommended this combination for a few of the guys coming to the White Lake run. It is a hand held Wouxun unit that performs well and is water proof to boot! All for $124 through Amazon. Free two day shipping if you have Prime Membership.

Radio (~$90):
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF Dual Band Two Way Radio
The Wouxun KG-UVD-1P Dual-Dand handheld commercial transceiver provides up to 5 Watts of RF power on VHF and 4 Watts on UHF.
IP55 Waterproof
Amazon.com: Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF Dual Band Two Way Radio (Black): Car Electronics

Mic / Speaker (~$12):
Wouxun SMO-001 Remote Speaker Two Features: * 2 Pin (1x 3.5mm and 1 x 2.5mm Jacks) * These is 3.5mm earpiece socket on the underside for privacy usage * Back with strong clip and convenient for use ...
Amazon.com : Wouxun SMO-001 Remote Speaker : Two Way Radio Headsets : Car Electronics

Whip Antenna (~$17)
Authentic Genuine Nagoya NA-771 15.6-Inch Whip VHF/UHF (144/430Mhz) Antenna SMA-Female
Amazon.com: Authentic Genuine Nagoya NA-771 15.6-Inch Whip VHF/UHF (144/430Mhz) Antenna SMA-Female for AnyTone, BaoFeng, and Yaesu: Car Electronics

Programming Cable (~$4):
Amazon.com : Baofeng USB Programming Cable for Baofeng Two way Radio UV-5R, BF-888S, BF-F8+ With Driver CD : Computer Usb Cables : Car Electronics

@Yunk the Junk. Good start here.

DocSpooK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Joe

W.G.

Typically with the hand held for recoveries and what not, either Baofung or the Wouxun works well. I like the Wouxuns better because of the ease of use and the waterproof. The remote mic is really nice.

If you take the hand held into the truck, I recommend a magnetic mounted antenna for it.

Vote for your favorite pic
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f18/january-2017-calendar-vote-46906/
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

I had a Baofeng for my first two Snoballs. you are right about the range, but the bigger issue is that it drains battery faster than it charges. so on day two and three my radio would be dead sometimes. took me a while to figure it out.

loke

Reaction score
Well organized runs should also put anyone with handheld in the middle. Always higher powered units in the front and rear. Designate someone to relay in the middle of the group gets large. I've had good luck with handhelds as long as no one gets snobby. Ain't no one got time for that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well organized runs should also put anyone with handheld in the middle. Always higher powered units in the front and rear. Designate someone to relay in the middle of the group gets large. I've had good luck with handhelds as long as no one gets snobby. Ain't no one got time for that.

yep they have good radio in the front middle and back to relay

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

We do that at Snoball and I have been the middle radio occasionally and for the most part it can work. In the woods with lots of hills it is less effective. One issue that has nothing to do with distance is the hand held is much lower power and they are not as easy to hear in terms volume output. That is even up close when in the truck and with out an external it gets worse as distance increases.

I am not saying they are bad and I do understand a handheld is great for some that don't want to have a mounted radio or do only the occasional run. I am buying one as a back up and for out of the truck when out of the truck.

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With some of our runs spreading out 15 miles through the mountains, I am looking for a signal booster for my truck mounted radio. In the CB days we used to call them linears. The 65watts ain't cutting it.

Any recommendation for the VHF/UHF units we typically use? An additional 100Watts would be helpful?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir