Need help with tethering!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so I know there are some pretty smart people on here that will be able to help me.

I have a Samsung S6 and a WiFi only Samsung Tab A tablet.
Is it possible to tether the phone and tablet in order to steal the Internet from the phone to be used by the tablet.
I am looking to use the tablet for Waze while driving and other Internet based applications ie, Netflix and to **** dance around on the interwebs.
I do believe it can be done from phone to computer so I'm guessing there has to be a way to do it with a tablet too.
Any thoughts??

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
You should be able to use the phone as a hotspot, which you can then connect via wifi on the tablet. I did that on a WI/MI run, @fingermalone got to watch some NCAA march madness when he was driving behind me - before @Crikk wanted to annihilate the speed limit and get us all pulled over.

OP
OP
Mike175

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha nice except for the pulling over part.
I can indeed make the phone a Hotspot. In order to do so however I would have to change my wireless plan. As it stands now I have an unlimited plan for mine and the wife's phone grandfathered in at an extremely cheapopular rate from several years ago. Changing it to allow Hotspot will drastically increase my bill, so not looking to go that route.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I can indeed make the phone a Hotspot. In order to do so however I would have to change my wireless plan. As it stands now I have an unlimited plan for mine and the wife's phone grandfathered in at an extremely cheapopular rate from several years ago. Changing it to allow Hotspot will drastically increase my bill, so not looking to go that route.

Yeah, my buddy did it with his work phone. You know, because he was "working" on the drive up.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score

That was going to be the other part. ATT charges you to use your phone as a hotspot. Are yo under contract? Is the S6 unlocked?

OP
OP
Mike175

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are not under any contract at this time.
And as far as "unlocked", I haven't a clue. We bought them outright from Verizon to keep my old unlimited plan.

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be very very carefull, one Netflix or adult consumable movie will blow your data cap (no pun intended). For Waze it might be alright, but if you stream any HD content, you will be paying overage fees.