My Lowrance HDS-7 Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Creating and Installing a Mount for a Lowrance HDS-7

After reading one of the prerequisites for joining Raptor Expeditions on their Barstow to Vegas run was to install a Lowrance unit, I started looking around for one to install. I picked up a HDS-7 Gen3 on Ebay for $899.

Once it arrived it dawned on me that I needed a mount for it. After looking at the mounts on RPG, Outlaw Offroad and LGE CTS*Motorsports, all going for around $100, I thought to myself, "I could easily make a mount as good as this." Well, like all my projects, it took me longer than expected, and after buying some tools, ended up costing me a little more than $100. But the pride in making something myself is part the reward so here is the story if you care to know more about it.

Tools I used:
  • Drill
  • Jigsaw
  • Metal Bending Brake
  • C-clamps
  • Belt Sander
  • Dremel with cutting wheel
  • Combination Square
  • Ruler
  • Tape Measure
  • Soldering Iron
  • Socket Set
  • Screw Drivers
  • Allen Wrenches

Lowrance Bracket:
I first made a trip out to our local scrap metal warehouse and picked up a really clean piece of aluminum. I bought more than what I needed in case of mistakes (which turned out to be a good thing as you will see below). It ended up costing me about $8.00.

Lowrance Template:
The Lowrance unit comes with a template to assist with cutting (mostly for flush mounts in boats, but works perfect for this application too).

nDpHe_uxPQmQbh7zRjRh3fBDOggLlAuVqn6YJ=w870-h652-no.jpg

My traced out template:
I used some printer paper to trace out the outline on the template page so I could reuse the template in the event I made a mistake.

DC7kCwL33LvdBkAEbAGJmnU-XL5KCexveBG=w1186-h1580-no.jpg

Making the cuts for the faceplate:
I had to buy a jigsaw to make the cuts. I picked up one at Home Depot for $70. I drilled holes in the angled sections so I could get the blade in and cut the hole out of the center. The template worked great and the fit around the Lowrance unit was exceptional.

N9RBaU7LlTK9sQeBMcvRhRWB1PsnXtUkfxy=w1496-h1122-no.jpg

_bcGljcQ022Ufjb2PNu_KBR1E_X8-VDrh66=w1496-h1122-no.jpg

Bending mishap:
Next step was to make the bends on the sides of the faceplate that would mount to the arms I planned to make next. I figured I could make the bends by clamping the faceplate to my workbench and bending against a 90 degree edge. Turns out that approach didn't work out so well...

aIpCwJ-X7FKzfi-y6_7QaNd23Mu9HO5MuXp=w1496-h1122-no.jpg

Take two... with a metal bending brake!
So I went back and repeated that process above. This time I ordered a metal bending brake from Harbor Freight for $40. This was the right tool for the job but required a C-Clamp and some other clamps to hold it in place. The bends turned out great. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel to angle the mounting points but if you were to do this, I would suggest you cut the angles before bending the sides. It would have been much easier. I just did it this way because I didn't know I wanted those sides angled until after I bent the sides.

HbsWpcShbc-RpHWTKjERYmClIDOM4HuTFhDc=w842-h1122-no.jpg

Arms for mount:
After I completed the faceplate, I was on to making the arms for the bracket. For the arms, I went back and forth from the truck to the garage cutting out construction paper, measuring, and shaping a template for what I thought the arms should look like. I came up with this...

HxjOIMpc-Ad18-OSKOY0i_tFAXCC5dMJatD=w1496-h1122-no.jpg

Finishing up the arms:
After a few bends with the metal brake, some drilling and some belt sanding to shore up the edges, I had the arms ready.

ZJ_69S96DZVnQK4GVHqWN45yAT0MawtuWXip=w842-h1122-no.jpg

tlLf-mSJiyLoRfcCHVfvPDqAW4a9C41Rbr3=w1496-h1122-no.jpg

A6rHfOepjl5O9PlexDI8b5kui-c7W5fpZF6e=w842-h1122-no.jpg

Final assembly:
I pieced it all together to make sure it fit the way I intended and then started on mounting it to the plastic speaker dash tray. To do this, I pulled the tray out and removed the speaker to make it easier to work on. I cut holes for the arm mounts and cut a hole for the wire to go through. I used a computer wire port cap to make the hole cleaner.

Y4NJMf24Tov85vehCt4tzG7waBTH_tlF67x=w1496-h1122-no.jpg

CsmTNdhXhbq8ryzEhR1PpVw_FucqBhEb_AN=w1496-h1122-no.jpg

LRiMPNothSmmC2MMmAMe2SZf6WiI7_9bMMk=w1496-h1122-no.jpg
KU7W2ZJvRlybMCwAzMytOILEI26-gSQ0YTm=w1496-h1122-no.jpg

BFayHKt7pzJHTiLuKW31gqqEOY_ETTHg5Os=w1496-h1122-no.jpg

Final Result:
Once I was happy with the fit of the mount I primed and painted it, wired up the HDS-7 to the last upfitter switch and voila!

9Yj9RmbWxZtRLpcn_WbG3A3MgaJOn46v8noA=w842-h1122-no.jpg

HCS0B4zNwOkWWCQekX9kkWSsaKs4tTNKxBiD=w842-h1122-no.jpg

I hope this post helps anyone trying to do this on their own. It ended costing me $118 (mostly because of the tools I needed to purchase) and took a couple weekends of intermittent work, but I am pleased with the result. I have taken it offroad since and so far it has handled the shock of bumps and rock crawling very well.

Measure twice, cut once, have fun, enjoy the process!
~bigrig

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

Using Google for pictures, links are probably restricted to a username/password

OP
OP
bigrig

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paint. Needs paint!

It has primer, paint and clear coat. I wanted to make it look as close to the silver on the center console. That was just a personal preference on my part. I should note that the other side of the mount is painted black so it didn't reflect on the windshield.

OP
OP
bigrig

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like the wingnuts, but very nice job.

Yeah, I am planning on swapping those wing nuts over for some allen bolts with a button head to clean that up. I originally thought that I would want to be able to easily remove the Lowrance unit for some reason, but no real reason has presented itself yet.