my ipad GPS solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
most of us on this forum recognize that off road navigation can help out IMMENSELY while out on the trail, or lack of trail. but who really wants to spend an insane amount of money on a dedicated off road navigation system that will be used sparingly and sits right in the middle of your view?

with all the apps and technology out there at a high quality/low price ratio, it just makes sense to go with a tablet style GPS system.

1)iPad 4
2) RAM heavy duty suction cup mount
3) Motionx HD for iPad

this is the exact set up i used last weekend while out in Ocotillo Wells. while it was not a flawless system to say the least, it was suffice to get me home twice when i was lost on a trail(only been there one other time).

i downloaded the terrain/topo maps that show trails(named about 75% of them) and sand washes/river beds(names about 75% of them as well). i have the wifi only ipad and therefor the GPS doesnt track me on the map but i think i will buy a plug-in GPS antenna and just use it when im off roading.

all in all i am very pleased with this set up. it is designed for the passenger/navigator to operate and can easily be adjust to their height by placing it higher or lower on the window. the strenght of the suction cup was never in doubt. i went over many woops and hard bumps at Ocotillo and this thing jiggled a little but never fell off or changed positions. it is also able to be ran continuously by being plugged in to one of the many ports.

heres a pic of it mounted on the front passnger window. the view is fronm the back seat, drivers side
null_zps3e6c035a.jpg

sorry for the flash and finger smudges. not a big deal if theres no flash. its easy to read in any light and great for off roading. trails, washes, and paved roads are easy to distinguish and you can set the zoom to be very detailed, just depends on how much space you want to use on the download.
null_zpsa5b6fa4a.jpg

here is a "partial" view of what the passenger sees. the camera angle and whatnot doesnt do it justice. its very easy to keep your eyes on the trail and on the GPS, just mount it where its best FOR YOU. everyones height, plane of vision, etc is different so just mount it where youre comfy.
null_zps5fdfd089.jpg

heres the mount suctioned to the window. its very strong, adjustable on the fly, and uses a double sided ball joint and clamps to stay in place.
null_zps8517fddf.jpg

while it may require some tinkering and requires maps to be pre downloaded, this is an excellent substitution for an expensive and permanently mounted offroad GPS. there are many different apps out there and many different cheap tablets that can be used. i just used the ipad because its what i currently have. i just want this to be a conversation starter for those wondering if this will work as good as a dedicated off road GPS. my answer? yes. just take your time researching apps, purchase the proper mount for what your looking for, and dont forget that not everyone will like what you do but if it works for you, thats all that matter....and this works for me GREAT!!!

Steve-O

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you have a smartphone?

Hotspot that sucker to get data connectivity.

Yeah I tried that at Raptoberfest. I struggled to get 3G on my 4G phone. Most of the time I only had 1X. I ended up throwing the iPad in my center console and using the GPS in my brain. An external antenna sounds like a good solution though. Anyone have any recommendations?

cbs001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using my Ipad (has gps but I turn it off) with Motion X for 2 years, it is not perfect, but does work well when you cache the maps. Biggest issue is maintaining GPS signal. I use a Dual GPS receiver which you can link to the IPAD via bluetooth. Saw better GPS signal out in Moab this summer vs. Ipad built in GPS.

I have an aftermarket Alpine Nav system as my head unit. I was really surprised how well the Alpine Nav's offroad mode worked. It showed every trail I took in Colorado and Utah and I was able to put in GPS coordinates and get turn by turn directions.

Last edited:

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How well does the external gps work. Anybody tried it with an I pad Air yet?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How well does the external gps work. Anybody tried it with an I pad Air yet?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I have had no problems out of mine. It works with Bluetooth thus will work with any model iPad or frankly android device. The only down side is battery life but it easily plugs in to charge with the 12 volt access on the dash. I will get pics and post model later for those that are interested.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an iPAD 4 wifi with 3G (3G service not enabled) with the MotionX HD app and I bought a Dual external GPS that connects via bluetooth. The external GPS is much better than the internal one but with iOS6 Apple has a bug the makes using the external GPS problematic. I read last night that with iOS7 it's fixed. The Dual GPS was like $100 on Amazon.