Looking for Audio help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cfabrizio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've recently moved from a 2007 Tahoe to a 2012 screw with the sony nav and the "upgraded" sound system. My tahoe had the Bose system in it and it sounded good for a factory system. The sounds was clear, crisp, didn't distort when turned up, and the sub provided a strong punch but didn't rattle your teeth like some of the sub systems do. To say the least, I was disappointed with the upgraded sony system and only a week of owning the truck I'm looking to upgrade the system. I'm not looking for a crazy system just something with better quality.

I'm looking for help or suggestions on what size speaker I can put in the doors, if an 8" inch sub will provide better responce but not overwhelming, and if there is a way to adjust the mid range sound with the nav system. I can only find treble and bass but it sounds like the mids need to be adjusted as well. If I can't adjust the mids, is there a way to add an aftermarket equalizer into the system so I can adjust the sound to my liking? I have been out of the audio game for some time but am leaning torwards polk speakers with a JL sub. Thats what I had in my truck prior to the tahoe and it worked well. Thanks for the help, sorry for the long post.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I've recently moved from a 2007 Tahoe to a 2012 screw with the sony nav and the "upgraded" sound system. My tahoe had the Bose system in it and it sounded good for a factory system. The sounds was clear, crisp, didn't distort when turned up, and the sub provided a strong punch but didn't rattle your teeth like some of the sub systems do. To say the least, I was disappointed with the upgraded sony system and only a week of owning the truck I'm looking to upgrade the system. I'm not looking for a crazy system just something with better quality.

I'm looking for help or suggestions on what size speaker I can put in the doors, if an 8" inch sub will provide better responce but not overwhelming, and if there is a way to adjust the mid range sound with the nav system. I can only find treble and bass but it sounds like the mids need to be adjusted as well. If I can't adjust the mids, is there a way to add an aftermarket equalizer into the system so I can adjust the sound to my liking? I have been out of the audio game for some time but am leaning torwards polk speakers with a JL sub. Thats what I had in my truck prior to the tahoe and it worked well. Thanks for the help, sorry for the long post.

i believe the front speakers are 5x7 and just confirmed that on crutchfield:
Car Selector

as for a sub, i think an 8" with 150w-200w RMS range will definitely be better than the stock sub. personally i went with a 300W RMS max JL W04v2 10" sub with a JL amp that will comfortably run 250w RMS @ 4ohm. that should be enough to rattle the mirrors and will probably be more than most people need ;) but it's not a glass shattering, license plate rattling system. been there done that, bled from my ears on my pillow at night.

I bought a custom sub box for my truck (supercab) here: Ford F-150 Extended Cab / Super Cab 09-11 Single Subwoofer Box

i had them do black carpet which matches the factory carpet pretty well and the quality/fit of the box is great. it appears they offer the box with 8"10" and 12" cutouts. just keep in mind it's a shallow box and you'll be limited to shallow mount subs (which is why i went with the W0, the W3 was too deep).

hope this helps.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
How is that box positioned in the back? Drivers side? Any leg room sacrificed?

i haven't done the install yet, but when i test fitted the box it's perfect. it fits right under the seat and doesn't stick out whatsoever. no loss of any leg room. the only drawback is i have to find a new place for my spare tire jack. it can be installed either right behind the driver side or over toward the middle a bit but the seat bracket on the passenger side is as far as it will go.

trailboss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally ordered audio upgrades for my 12' Scab. Since I am in the high end home audio & video business I wanted something on the high end of the scale but also wanted to maintain a factory appearance. JL C5 series 5x7 coaxial going in all four doors and additional C5 tweeters in the front pillars, C2 3.5 inch coaxial for the dash center, bass will be handled by an MTX ThunderForm (the one for the F150 Scab's is now fiberglass-not plastic) loaded with a Morel Primo 10" sub (shallow depth and likes a 1.0 cu ft sealed enclosure) Power amps will be a McIntosh 6 ch and a McIntosh mono for the sub (I own the McIntosh amps) and will use a JL Audio OEM interface maintain all factory functions. We will also be using plenty of Dynamat throughout to dampen vibrations and lower the noise floor. This system is designed to greatly improve the sound, look factory and be able to revert back to factory original should I get the bug to trade again...

For those just looking for a GREAT, budget upgrade look into the entry JL, Focal or other high-efficiency 5x7 coaxial drivers for the doors (GOOD 5x7s sound great and are plug-n-play) and mate those to a loaded, amplified MTX ThunderForm. We did this for a buddy's Raptor and was a HUGE improvement without breaking the bank. The secret (without needing new amps) is to use high-sensitivity quality replacement drivers in the doors and a quality powered sub-the MTX fits the bill perfectly and looks stock.

Last edited:

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i haven't done the install yet, but when i test fitted the box it's perfect. it fits right under the seat and doesn't stick out whatsoever. no loss of any leg room. the only drawback is i have to find a new place for my spare tire jack. it can be installed either right behind the driver side or over toward the middle a bit but the seat bracket on the passenger side is as far as it will go.

Birdman--you coming to Texas next weekend?

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you were I would show you what a good system install looked and sounded like! It is both SQL and SDL. Takes some $$$$ to do right but it can be done.