Laird VHF antenna Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ittybittyfds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
ittybittyfds

ittybittyfds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure some people were using 152-162MHz for snowball and happy. As I understand some people use multiple antennas.
Do you mind me asking what Larsen you used. I am looking for a Antenna with around a 20' whipp

Last edited:

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am pretty sure some people were using 152-162MHz for snowball and happy. As I understand some people use multiple antennas.
Do you mind me asking what Larsen you used. I am looking for a Antenna with around a 20' whipp

This is the antenna I bought, but I have a quad-band radio. https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo150-450-800-1050.html
It is only 16.5" tall. I couldn't find a quad band antenna less than 50", and I didn't want multiple antennas.

I also bought the Comet cp5-nmo lip mount which cost more than twice what the antenna cost. Overall, this set up is maybe 2" taller than the stock am/fm antenna. The antenna had great reviews.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The first one is tuned for the armature frequency range. The second one is for the business portion of the band.

So, is one better than the other for the op's use, or should he be looking at a different antenna?

What is your opinion on the one I chose? I know that you have a great deal of experience with these radios, thanks.

Also, I'm planning to mount the radio under the drvs seat, would it make more sense to mount it behind the glove box (shorter power leads/closer to battery)? Not trying to hijack the thread, sorry.

Last edited:

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
1/4 wave antennas are around 16" tall. Just because it says 144-152 or 152-166 doesn't mean it wont work out of that range, it's just not optimal.

You can buy an antenna like this one that you tune to a particular frequency by cutting it down. I just pick the freq I use most and go that route. Pretty much everything I run is in the 151-152 range so I tune it right at 152 so it's right in the middle.