Issues with viewing Rearview Camera Image through Nav System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When my automated headlights are on, or it’s dark outside viewing the rearview image through the NAV systems is almost worthless. Even when it’s not dark with the automated headlights on it’s still worthless. Since my NAV system was installed as an aftermarket feature (not factory installed, but a factory system) my image in the rearview mirror still works, and it works great, but not through the Nav System. During daylight it works flawless.

For a while I was getting a dialog warning box stating something like “the camera image is not connecting/communicating”, but that hasn’t displayed in 3 weeks. I have a service appointment tomorrow to have them look at it but due to a family issue, it looks like I’ll need to reschedule it for a later date.

Basically I’m hoping someone besides me has encountered this issue & can tell me how the stealership fixed it. So, when I do take it in, I would love to tell them how others have had it fixed.

I know I’m friggin dreaming!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not to sure how the oem system is wired since the truck did not come built with the nav, but it is possible that since you are splitting the video signal somewhere (video in the mirror and on the screen) the signal could be diminished. the video output is usually designed to send enough signal to go to 1 screen. when we add multiple screens in a vehicle we always have to use a video amplifier. this could be the case with your truck. maybe if the mirror was disconnected it might send a stronger signal to your nav screen. the communication error you wre getting could be because of a weak video signal. dont quote me on that, i am not even sure if that would help, but it is a suggestion that you can try.

OP
OP
Blind1

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Busa, that makes senses & I was basically thinking that was the issue as well.

Before I set up an another appointment to take back in I'll give the guy a call to see if he has the same thoughts. Either case, I can live with it, but it still ****** me off........arrrr!