Installed a subwoofer, now I hate the system..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMC Racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the factory subwoofer really highlighted how bad the door speakers are. The complete lack of midbass is even more apparent.

Replacing the subwoofer was easy and just a starting point. I ran 4 gauge to the back to prepare for the future. I have some pieces that I bought 4 years ago for another vehicle that I never installed. NIB...

Have:
DLS UP6i component set
JL 600/4 amp

Needed:
Something to clean up the factory signal. Cleansweep or better..
Rear door speakers. Probably the focal 5x7's..
Sound deadening..

Also needed, but I'm not going to install myself:
Viper alarm

I have the week off work for Thanksgiving, I'll probably do the install then.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replacing the factory subwoofer really highlighted how bad the door speakers are. The complete lack of midbass is even more apparent.

Replacing the subwoofer was easy and just a starting point. I ran 4 gauge to the back to prepare for the future. I have some pieces that I bought 4 years ago for another vehicle that I never installed. NIB...

Have:
DLS UP6i component set
JL 600/4 amp

Needed:
Something to clean up the factory signal. Cleansweep or better..
Rear door speakers. Probably the focal 5x7's..
Sound deadening..

Also needed, but I'm not going to install myself:
Viper alarm

I have the week off work for Thanksgiving, I'll probably do the install then.
i recommend using the same brand speakers in the rear. this keeps the tone of the system the same. as for a processor, the mosconi 6to8 is the one we like to use. focal has the best sound deadening that i have seen. it is called bam. depending on the size of your truck (crewcab or supercab) you will need 3 1/2 -4 1/2 rolls of it to do the entire cab.

OP
OP
M

MMC Racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i recommend using the same brand speakers in the rear. this keeps the tone of the system the same. as for a processor, the mosconi 6to8 is the one we like to use. focal has the best sound deadening that i have seen. it is called bam. depending on the size of your truck (crewcab or supercab) you will need 3 1/2 -4 1/2 rolls of it to do the entire cab.

Noah,

How complex is the mosconi for a novice? I'm concerned all the adjustability may be lost in my hands. Is there a way to do "remote" tuning to get it 90% of the way there? Another option, any plans for install trips to San Diego/Socal?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noah,

How complex is the mosconi for a novice? I'm concerned all the adjustability may be lost in my hands. Is there a way to do "remote" tuning to get it 90% of the way there? Another option, any plans for install trips to San Diego/Socal?
funny you bring that up. there is a member here that we experimented this "remote tuning" possibility just a few days ago. it seems like it worked pretty good. the main issue is that you need software and a usb mic. roughly about $160 in parts. i did tuning to his truck after we closed here so it was a bit late for him on the east coast, but we got it done. we spent about 6-7 hours total time, and we will need to do it again for the final tune once the speakers break in. i will be in thousand oaks in a couple weeks, we may be able to plan something