I Pad install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It had to happen... the first I-Pad Install in a vehicle!

Our BOT picked up on this.

We were wondering who would be first to install an iPad tablet computer in a car or truck and it appears to be SoundMan Car Audio in Southern California. They've just installed one in a Toyota Tacoma.
Here is the install video. These guys are FEARLESS! "Dash" and "Dremel" don't go together <G>.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSnIXfoSU6I&feature=player_embedded

If you're in a rush, go to 1:30, that's where the install starts.

Falcon

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those guys are fearless :) They're also about 15 minutes from my house and I've been in their shop to talk to them.

I couldn't listen to the audio so I dont' know what they're doing with the iPad (sure it's good for web access when there's a wifi spot but what else?) nor do I know what the controller they installed to the left of the steering wheel does. Anyone care to enlighten me as to what benefits the iPad brings to the vehicle other than being VERY COOL LOOKING?

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Benefits of the iPad...getting in a wreck.

And unless they have it tied into the audio system which I doubt is the case it won't even allow for Shazaam or internet radio to work like the iPhone has the capabilities of. It's just bragging rights. Basically there is no system integration like a car pc would provide.

I think the pad to the left of the steering wheel is for the audio controls since they were removed with the original head unit.

Of course I did not listen to the audio either so I'm speculating.

OP
OP
Falcon

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny.
..Benefits of the iPad...getting in a wreck

Is there some problem with the vid's audio stream? It works fine for me. Anyone else that can't hear it?

Falcon

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not saying the audio doesn't work...it just doesn't work with the speakers muted. :)

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pad controls the DAC they installed and allows volume and equaliser adjustments...

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not saying the audio doesn't work...it just doesn't work with the speakers muted. :)

Same here (muted speakers).

I'm at work and there's no way I'm going to turn on the sound on any of those videos. I'm in stealth mode (unless they're checking my www's then I'm doing "research" yeah, that's it!).

OP
OP
Falcon

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohhh... I see! No Hear!

Boss happy, me happy. Me happy, wife happy. Wife happy... EVERYBODY happy!

Got it <G>

Falcon

OP
OP
Falcon

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Benefits of the iPad...getting in a wreck.

And unless they have it tied into the audio system which I doubt is the case it won't even allow for Shazaam or internet radio to work like the iPhone has the capabilities of. It's just bragging rights. Basically there is no system integration like a car pc would provide.

I think the pad to the left of the steering wheel is for the audio controls since they were removed with the original head unit.

Of course I did not listen to the audio either so I'm speculating.

What they outlined in the beginning was that they have a special dock coming from Apple that allow them to feed audio and video via an optical jack. That goes to the Audison Bit1 processor (details below). The Controller he mounted in the left side is for the Audio control (you can still have your factory radio installed and select it via this controller) and it controls the output of the Macintosh Amp that has sub woofer and speaker outputs. As far as connectivity, it sports both 3G and Wifi, so unless you live in the sticks (like me) you are a rolling Internet Node.

Falcon

About the Audison Bit1:

I stopped by the Audison booth at SBN and was privileged enough to get a sneak peek of the new Audison Bit1 processor. This amazing little black box is similar to the processing capabilities of the Rockford 3Sixty and JL Audio Clean Sweep, but oh-so-much-more. This unit is perfect for OEM upgrades where the factory radio is retained but the rest of the audio system is upgraded, but is also designed for aftermarket integration as well. Follow the jump for more pics and the pretty impressive feature list!
Audison will offer three different Bit1 models, starting with a "basic" model (no specs available yet), a mid-level unit (which is pictured here), and a very impressive high-end model. The Bit1 will be controlled by a separate remote control module conveniently designed to fit nicely in most automotive ashtrays, with user-programmable presets for custom EQ settings. The system is set up via PC and features 8 channels of high level speaker inputs, RCA inputs, or a single Tos-Link fiber optic input. The higher-end model will also feature an auto-EQ system similar to Denon's impressive Audyssey MultEQXT system. Here's a breakdown:

High-Level Bit1 Features:

• Auto EQ setup similar to Denon's Audyssey MultEQXT system
  • Eight channels of speaker level or RCA inputs, as well as TOS-Link fiber optic input
  • Eight independently adjustable channels, both input and output
  • Channel summing for OEM integration - automatic with special CD (up to 20 volts RMS)
  • 8 channel RCA input (up to 6 volts RMS)
  • All channels are user selectable and configurable via USB/PC interface
  • 1/3 octave equalizer - independent for both inputs AND output via USB/PC interface
  • Fully configurable time alignment across all channels
  • High pass/low pass/bandpass selectable 6/12/18/24/36/48 db per octave for all channels
  • 4 auxiliary inputs which also feature independent time alignment, 1/3 octave EQ, and level output adjustment for level matching auxiliary sources (iPod, portable satellite radio, DVD, etc)
  • 20dB muting circuit for cell phone mute
  • MSRP will be somewhere in the range of $1200-1400

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As far as connectivity, it sports both 3G and Wifi, so unless you live in the sticks (like me) you are a rolling Internet Node.

It is my understanding that the 3G enabled iPads are not for sale yet. They are to come out in a couple of months at a $150 premium over the WiFi only iPads. The only way that iPad is 3G enabled is if he stole it.

If they are running McIntosh and Audison...well someone has some loot for their audio system. They make top notch components.