Help with ham radio install location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this has been covered a few times, but I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread.

I just bought a Yaesu FT-2900R and modded it so it can broadcast on all frequencies it receives on, per this thread (thanks BlueSTI). Now I need to figure out how I'm going to mount it.

My first thought was to the side of Outlaw Raptor GPS Mount, but the radio is too big to go sideways next to it.

I think my favorite idea so far is under the glove box, but it looks like there is something there that can't be drilled into. I might look at building a bracket to make that work. It looks like there are a couple metal tabs right at the bottom of the glove box that could hold the front of the radio if I could find something to support the back. Anyone have experience trying to mount anything here?

I saw treypal's post, which was my third idea. I wasn't crazy about it because it seems like the radio is really in your face, a prominent aesthetic feature of the cab. I want a very clean look, possible quick removal when not in use. Hopefully without prominently visible holes.

I think the easiest and still very functional idea is BigJ's install. I was thinking the same location, but turning the radio upside down so when I turned around I could quickly read the screen and I could easily feel back there for volume and squelch. Since the radio has direct frequency input from the mic, I didn't think it would be too bad to have the screen not in direct, easy view.

I really liked All The Way's 3.5mm jack for the speaker and his mic install.

Those are my thoughts. Does anyone have experience with under the glove box?

Also, what I'm really missing is the real world experience. I pretty much solely want this radio for communicating with other trucks while out on a run with them and for emergency help if I was stranded. I think with those two cases in mind, the screen being out of site wouldn't be a big deal. Do you agree or disagree?

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Originally I was gonna buy that radio until I saw you couldn't remote mount the head unit. You could Velcro it to the dash and run the wires under the center speaker/tray?? Or use Velcro and mount it like treypal did. Just some ideas.

What are you going to use for a antenna or do you have one?

OP
OP
jondle

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you going to use for a antenna or do you have one?

I was going to use a magnetic one on the roof. I bought one today from a local ham radio store. The guy there told me to cut 4" off to hone in on 151MHz that Raptor Expeditions uses.

OP
OP
jondle

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some fiddling tonight and I think I found a setup I really like. Under the glove box seems to work out really well. So far, all of this is done without drilling or cutting anything on the truck and the glove box still opens fully.

Here is a finger tight, preliminary mount to check for space. This is with the seat in about the middle with my leg almost stretching straight to ensure it wouldn't hit. I'm 5'10".
IMAG0040.jpg

I didn't like the giant gap between the top of the radio and the bottom of the bracket so I took the drill and dremel tool to the bracket to put in some new mount points on it. I think it turned out really nice. Depending on how this works out on the run next week, I'll probably cut the bottom of the bracket down so it doesn't extend beyond the radio.
IMAG0043.jpg

We have power! I ran the power cable through the firewall with a special thanks to Birdman's writeup on installing his subwoofer. I used a wire coat hanger to fish cable through the hole. That took me way longer than I think it should have.
IMAG0042.jpg

I still haven't touched the antenna yet. I probably won't get to that until Monday since I'm going out of town for the whole weekend. I might have time tomorrow after work. I expect it will be easier than what I've done thus far. Since I don't plan on leaving it there full time, I think I might just run it in the back door and along the floor. We'll see, I might get spunky and actually run it through the third brake light.

brusso99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radio is critical to my truck as i like options for emergency situations. I am licensed General class, getting my Extra soon. my plan is to mount a radio behind the rear seats with a remote head mounted up front around the deadspace over my nav. If you dont have a moon roof up top is one of the most common places. I highly recommend the ft-350AR with APRS and GPS so you can beacon your location.

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radio is critical to my truck as i like options for emergency situations. I am licensed General class, getting my Extra soon. my plan is to mount a radio behind the rear seats with a remote head mounted up front around the deadspace over my nav. If you dont have a moon roof up top is one of the most common places. I highly recommend the ft-350AR with APRS and GPS so you can beacon your location.

I really like this Radio and for the money i think it is a bargain. You can also get a Bluetooth upgrade in this one I will be getting this thank you for this recommendation I may pay for a professional instal on this as i want it to be perfect:waytogo:

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks good. It took forever for me to get the power run through the firewall grommet too, lost about a pint of blood. Off to study for my tech test tomorrow.

Movinon

Reaction score
I have the icom 7000. I mounted the body in the console and remote mounted the head just to the right of the shifter. I used the mystry hole on the right side that nothing will fit into to place on old sirus radio head mount to hold the remote head for the ic7000. I have a reciever hitch mounted HF antenna i use mostly for 40 meters.