GPS - Topo Insight Pro 2013 maps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had assumed (maybe incorrectly) that I would just download the new Insight Topo East, which includes Texas, transfer that to a SD card and then upload to my Lowrance. Then download Trey's .USR file, transfer that to a SD card and upload it to my Lowrance. Resulting in TRR track overlaying the new Insight topo maps. Then I planned to run a pre-run lap marking areas to slow down, etc.

Have I completely misunderstood how this works?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay after jumping through hoops and finally getting the Topo Insight Pro 2013 to download and on the sd card....

Drum roll please.........

No dice, Lowrance Baja 5m will NOT WORK with this software.. The lowrance will not recognize the topo files... Even through Lowrance customer/tech support said it is .at5 files which is their file system. Insights technical support said that it will only work with Elite 7 or HDS gen 2 touch.

NO REFUNDS!

Save your money and wait for official Baja release!

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay after jumping through hoops and finally getting the Topo Insight Pro 2013 to download and on the sd card....

Drum roll please.........

No dice, Lowrance Baja 5m will NOT WORK with this software.. The lowrance will not recognize the topo files... Even through Lowrance customer/tech support said it is .at5 files which is their file system. Insights technical support said that it will only work with Elite 7 or HDS gen 2 touch.

Save your money and wait for official Baja release!

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Sucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updated the software on my HDS7m Gen 2 Touch . . . no problem.

Downloaded the TRR2013 course file on to the unit . . . no problem.

Purchased and downloaded Insight Topo 2013 East from insight store. Confusing download process but eventually got it.

Understand that Lowrance units will only read up to a 2GB SD card. Bought a 2GB card but it said it will only hold 1.75GB when I plugged it into my laptop. Hmm. OK . . .tried to transfer Insight Topo East files to SD card. Said I needed 25mb more space. #$%@! So I just copied the "larvector1" .at5 files (leaving off the relatively small "medvector" and "smavector" .at5 files and the seemingly empty "permit" file).

Plugged SD card into unit. I could go to files and see the SD card and the larvector1.at5 files but the unit did not allow me to do anything with them. Maybe I will try one more time with permit file. No customer service this weekend, so I guess I will call them Monday.

Anyone familiar with downloading the new Insight maps and loading them into a Gen2 Touch?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gave up on download version of maps. Insight customer service even admitted the download process was "unnecessarily complicated". They gave me a credit and I just bought their SD card with the maps preloaded. Plugged it in. Worked immediately. Looks good.

IMG_20130410_175011_474_zps7d7c321a.jpg

WilsonRaptor

Reaction score
Gave up on download version of maps. Insight customer service even admitted the download process was "unnecessarily complicated". They gave me a credit and I just bought their SD card with the maps preloaded. Plugged it in. Worked immediately. Looks good.

IMG_20130410_175011_474_zps7d7c321a.jpg

This is as clear as mine gets with the Topo maps... Am I doing something wrong?gyhe6yne.jpg