Garmin Nuvi Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jalberson

Reaction score

I figured as much and I understand why a lot will want the Lowrance. However for what I need the GPS for (load large gpx files with oil / gas well locations) the Nuvi, Tom Tom, etc is sufficient at a much more reasonable price. The design of the RPG mount is exactly what I have been hunting however.

Thanks

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check out ProClip-USA. They have a mount that goes up near the air vent or one that goes down near the HVAC controls. I use both. One for my iPhone and another for my Garmin.

Reaction score
I had one mounted in my truck using a ProClip mount and an aluminum Garmin adapter ball. Worked awesome on the drivers side of the center console. I then decided that I wanted to mount the GPS on the passenger side and my phone on the drivers side, so I switched to RAM mounts. Required drilling four holes in the little tray in the center of the dash for each RAM ball, but it worked great. I have since replaced the GPS with an iPad Mini, but I'm still using the same RAM mount. I'll post a pic next time I go out to my truck.

Last edited:

Bigeffr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out ProClip-USA. They have a mount that goes up near the air vent or one that goes down near the HVAC controls. I use both. One for my iPhone and another for my Garmin.

I have the same brand except the one that sits on top of dash for GPS and the other in front of the small pocket to right of AC controls for iPhone - they work great and if you need to remove them there will be no holes or damage to dash. I have not had any issues so far.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Here are picks of the RAM mounts I currently have.

Can I ask a couple of questions please? I am looking to do this in the centre of the tray for an iPad mini.

1. What size ram mounts are they? The 2x1.7 or the 2x2.5?
2. What is the little pedestal the mount base seems to rest on in the second pic?
3. Did you use small nuts and bolts and just screw through the plastic tray or did you put a backing plate on the other side?
4. Are they the 6" arms or do you have something else going on there? Can't quite make out from the picture.

Thanks in advance.

K.

Reaction score
Hey Kahuna,

I used the 2x1.7" base, the 6" arm, and two different RAM X Grip mounts. If I may comment on the X Grips for just a sec (since you are planning on mounting an iPad), they hold the iPad Mini really securely (as in it won't fall out) but when the iPad is horizontal it does rotate around a bit. I was thinking of adding some sort of stabilizer but haven't yet. Other than that it works great, and I like it over the big plates that the iPad snaps into because when the iPad is removed you don't have a ********* thing blocking your vision. That's just my observation.

As for the little spacers on the bottom, they are these:

Block Spacer 14 mm/ 0.55 inch*-*ProClip USA

I drilled the holes all the way through the spacers and used nuts with 1" fender washers on the bottom side of the speaker plate. I was considering using a metal plate but it seems to be OK like it is. The reason I used those spacers is because it lifted the RAM base up enough that the arms didn't hit the dash and it allowed me to lower the iPad mounts out of my line of sight a little.