frs/vhf radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Bastaki

Reaction score
i've got an icom 2820h, i am a certified ham operator in the uae, however i only recently got my radio and license.

the training was pretty much based on vhf. no uhf.

alot of the guys who go offroading with us.. use frs handheld radios. uhf is illegal.. yada yada ya.

so i got me a dual band and did the mod for the icom 2820h so i can access and tx/rx on frs radio channels.

anyways.. the thing fried because of an incompatible antenna.

so the million dollar question is.

are there any alternatives to the icom 2820h?

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The incompatibility of the antenna should not have 'fried' the radio.
All the newer radios since the '90s, have a 'fold-back' circuit feature which
limits transmit power when high SWR is encounterd.

Do you want to stay with Icom or any brand that is modifiable?

OP
OP
A

Al Bastaki

Reaction score
yeah apparently... it didn't get fried. the boys at icom here said my icom is safe. no issues, the board was prolly overheating which pretty much explained why it wouldn't tx.. or hang.

they did however tell me to change the place of it so it gets better ventilation and give it a try.. so i pre-cooled my radio with my ac on, made sure its nice and cold. then got it out and laid it in front of the mid console ac vents.. and voila! the radio was all game.

so instead of having it laid underneath the rear seats, ive got it setup underneath the front passenger seat so that it gets some cold air (feet ventilation). Works really nice now.

I should do a guide on the setup ive got now.. real smooth.

Last edited: