Ford Remote Access and Vehicle Security System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford Custom Accessories offers a Vehicle Security System module that is an add-on to the factory alarm and the Remote Access module which allows a smartphone app to do everything the keyfob can do (Unlock, Lock, Start, Stop, Find) but from unlimited range since it uses a cell phone signal to communicate. The Find feature only honks the horn like the keyfob does, it does not use GPS.

Screenshot_2014-03-21-16-29-59.jpg

The Remote Access module also sends you a text and/or email when someone trips the alarm.

Screenshot_2014-04-11-12-02-11.jpg

The Vehicle Security module is basic as it only adds a shock sensor. The Ford accessories website lists a feature they call IT-s (Interior Theft Sensor) but there is no such feature. I called the tech line for these accessories (1-800-FORD-KEY) and the vendor that makes these tried to give me a line of BS about how this is really the shock sensor. I then called and emailed a few people at Ford Customer Service but no one at Ford could tell me why this feature is listed but not included.

Installation of the modules is plug-n-play but a dealer must activate the system. I decided to have the dealer do the install so I could get the parts covered under the factory warranty. I also added the LED Anti Theft Flasher as it was cheap and deterrence is the best defense.

20140322_150548.jpg

For a truck that has factory remote start, the two accessories are Vehicle Security System (DL3Z-19A361-A) and the Remote Access (DL3Z-19A390-B). If the truck does not have remote start then additional parts are needed (antennas, hood switch). The prices listed on the website are for the parts. Right below the price, click on the "Get local pricing" and it will add the installation cost.

The Vehicle Security System has a two-step shock sensor that gives one horn chirp for a minor impact and then trips the alarm for a larger impact. You do not get security alerts on your phone for the first warning step of the shock sensor. You only get the alerts when the alarm is set off, either by the shock sensor or by a door opening. I found that the shock sensor is not sensitive enough. It is adjustable and I have it adjusted to the full sensitivity but it takes quite an impact to even get the warning chirp. It is not sensitive enough to pick up a door-ding. The Vehicle Security System does not have the ability to add any other sensors.

To arm the system you have to use the lock button on the keyfob or your app (hitting the door button to lock will not set the alarm) and then wait 20 seconds for it to arm.

The cell service for the Remote Access costs $49.99 per year. I had read in other forums that the first year is included but this is not true. You only get three days to try out the Remote Access and security alerts before having to buy the first year, which is not refundable. You could add the Vehicle Security without the Remote Access and have no service fee but you would not get alerts on your phone.

The Remote Access app provides bi-directional communication. This means that you will get a confirmation back on your phone app that the signal was received by the truck.

After pressing the button, it will flash blue for a few seconds...

Screenshot_2014-04-11-12-05-49.jpg

And then it will light up green to confirm it was received.

Screenshot_2014-04-11-12-05-59.jpg

It also has settings for playing feedback sounds and vibrating.

Screenshot_2014-04-11-12-13-40.jpg

I did have some trouble with connectivity where the truck would not respond and I would just get a message back that an error occurred. You can also read in the reviews of the Ford Remote Access app for Android that others had issues. By chance, I think I figured out that it was because I had GPS turned off on my phone. A few days ago I turned it on for maps and then did not turn it off. When I went to use the Remote Access app, the status bar on my phone showed that it was using GPS. For what, I do not know.

I found a copy of the installation instructions here.

Last edited:

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
looks to be all plug and play. looks easy enough. alarm price isn't bad but the remote access is a bit pricey, plus a data plan is needed. still really cool...still might do it one day

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for this review! It sounds like you are not getting much for the money ($700), but for some reason I want it. I'm a gadget junkie!

Last edited:

FITZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy this kit DL3Z-19G364-A and it includes both the alarm and remote access parts together for a lot cheaper. I've seen them on ebay for 410.00 and that's from a ford dealer selling on ebay. Then if you want you can add the red led DM5Z-19D596-A that flashes when its armed that is made for the kit and plugs right into the module. Its like 15.00 My dealer charged me 120.00 to install it and it costs 50.00 a year for the subscription to keep the sim card active.

Scrap man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was at the ford dealer yesterday and gave him that item number I was told they are discontinuing that unit and there is a new unit that will be coming out but there was no eta. He told me that he believes the new one will have a few more features and my use the sync system a little more but he's not sure ford would not give him any info really.

D

Deleted member 12951

I ended up getting the led light. It was very easy to install here and fit perfectly.
y9yjazuq.jpg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pull the 2 7mm bolts that are facing upwards that hold the gauge cover in place. then pull the cover off. just grab and pull that top piece toward you and it will come off.