Ford DL3Z-19A361-A VSS Perimeter Alarm System Install Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some recent attempted break-ins on my Raptor have highlighted the deficiencies in the base alarm that came with my truck. After some research I decided to add the perimeter/shock sensor VSS, optional LED and extended range bi-directional antenna. My truck has remote start and the 4 button key fob.

There are a ton of posts about the actual install out there so rather than focus on that I'm going to just provide some lessons learned.

* There are two versions of the shock sensor. The old one Y's into the TPMS sensor. The new style Y's into to ODB port, much easier to install. Stay away from the older style, they should mostly be NLA and are no longer supported by Ford (so I have read).

* The shock sensor (PN DL3Z-19A361-A) acts as a hub for the other expansion options; LED, RMU, bi-direct antenna, by-pass plug, etc. If your vehicle came with the "perimeter alarm option" you don't need it. I just had the base VSS.

* The shock sensor mounts on the air duct behind the LH dash side access panel. This is the recommended location but others have mounted it onto the steel cross member above it. The air duct makes the adjustment easy to access but there is some debate on whether this is the best place or not. I'm tempted to try both ways. As of now I have the sensitivity in the 3/4 range. I might even construct a bracket like this: https://bajamod.com/detail.php?product_code=BM1016

* The LED mounts in a +9/32" hole. I drilled at this dim first them reamed to fit snug. I choose the removable dash panel directly over the gauge cluster. You need about 3/4" clearance underneath for the base of the LED so I drilled a larger relief hole in the panel underneath, its plastic so very easy to do with a 90 degree drill head. The LED isn't the brightest but it gets the job done. This will be a future upgrade once I figure out the supply voltage. To really do it right I'd like to add LED's on both front doors by the lock knob. TBD if the system has enough power to drive 3 LED's.

* To enter the programming mode you click the ignition from position 1 (off) to 3 (on) 8 times ending in the on position. The alarm then locks/unlocks the doors and learns the new module. I took me about 10 tries. You have to cycle the ignition very quickly, don't try and spread it out over the 10 seconds you have to do it in. Almost as quick at you can go.

* The shock sensor Y lead has two loose wires (white, white/red) on it. I've read they are for LED's but will investigate further. I'd really like to add a proper siren that only goes on when the alarm trips as the factory horns and wires are fairly easy to defeat (ask me how I know).

* The antenna kit comes with a small black jumper plug. The manual states you install the plug to "disable the security features." This is similar to the bypass switch some aftermarket alarms come with so you can disable the alarm when your truck is in the shop or maybe you park in a construction site and don't want the alarm getting set off all day. I'm not sure to what extent the plug disables the system, my hope is its the shock sensing only. I plan to test out and if that's it I'll extend the wires to a switch, hide it up under the dash and have the option to disable in the future.

So far I have spent $197 on this upgrade, well worth it IMO. I plan to add the RMU next and leverage the Ford Remote Access app over cellular to complete the system. The service is $50 a year and I probably won't remote start it from 100 miles away but it will be nice to know that I locked the doors and get a text/E-mail if/when someone fools with it next.

OP
OP
andreb

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the shock sensor VSS module installed on the air duct. The red and blue wires to the white plug are for the LED. The black 5-wide ribbon cable goes to the bi-direct antenna. You can see one of the two unknown wires from the harness sticking out bottom left of frame. The larger diameter red, black and blue wires run to some switches I have installed on dash panel below dimmer switch.

Attachments

• IMG_2817.jpg
    IMG_2817.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
OP
OP
andreb

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED mounted over gauge cluster. The lens is frosted which helps to diffuse the LED emissions but also reduces the brightness a bit. Maybe a future upgrade here; some "ultra-bright" LED's if the VSS can drive them. The cover would be fairly cheap to replace I suspect and it mounts the LED up high and forward for good visibility. The manual recommends the steering column top cover!? I want people to see it.

Attachments

• IMG_2818.jpg
    IMG_2818.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
andreb

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bi-directional extended range antenna. Mounts at the base of the rear view mirror if you have the metal foil logo windshield. Ribbon wire runs right up wiring for mirror and easily tucks into headliner then down inside speaker/trim panel on A-pillar. Use alcohol to clean windshield and be careful with placement. The adhesive pad is aggressive and you won't get a second try. I started my truck from a city block away yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_2819.jpg
    IMG_2819.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 69

jgwoody

Reaction score
* To enter the programming mode you click the ignition from position 1 (off) to 3 (on) 8 times ending in the on position. The alarm then locks/unlocks the doors and learns the new module. I took me about 10 tries. You have to cycle the ignition very quickly, don't try and spread it out over the 10 seconds you have to do it in. Almost as quick at you can go.

Dude thanks so much. Just installed and was about to lose my mind. Didn't know about programming it. All the other posts mention theirs were plug and play. Works like a champ now!