external hard drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ace75

Reaction score
Whats the largest external hard drive you guys are succesfully using and what formats.

I have a 1tb WD that doesn't seem to be working with sync. I tried it with ntsf as well as exfat. Music is all in mp3. The hard drive only has 35gb of music right now.

Thanks for any help.

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using a 1T Western Digital passport I picked up off Amazon for $100. Followed the usb cable threads on here to get a port into the center console. (Ordered a 1 pcs cable from USBFireWire.com that worked slick). The only real trick was to reformat the drive to Fat32. If you google "Ford sync fat32" you'll get a bunch of links. What you're looking for is a link to a download the will allow you to format the whole drive not just the 30 meg Microsoft let's you format.

On my phone now but if I get the chance this weekend I'll try n post a link.

JSIN138

Reaction score
The drive needs to be formatted fat32. Unfortunately the largest fat32 partition that can be created through the Windows GUI is 32GB. For anything larger use a third party software utility. There are many of these out there, a free & popular one is:

EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition

For Mac users, this functionality is built into OSX.
Navigate to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility
Select the drive to be formatted from the left pane
From the 'Erase' Tab, format as: 'MS-DOS (FAT)'

Use caution when formatting drives as it erases all content. I always take a couple extra seconds to make sure I have the correct drive selected. Accidentally erasing the wrong drive is a :badidea:

Good Luck