Experience w/ Kenwood Ham radios?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I am still shopping for my first Ham radio and the Kenwood TM-V71A has caught my eye. I am looking for dual band with a detachable head unit and this has both. I have heard from a couple of different folks that the Kenwood units are easier to use / program out in the field than their Icom and Yaesu counterparts. Plus, there is a local ham I have been talking to who can help me program the Kenwood. Easy to use is a big factor for me.

Any thoughts?

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If he has a radio like you are looking at, he could help school you on it before you get yours. Even if not the same exact, whatever he has may be close enough to the TM-V71A to get an idea of user friendliness. I can't comment on any one being better than the other since I too am new to ham. I recently bought a Yeasu FT8800R as my first radio. So far it seems like a good unit fairly easy to field program (still following the instructions though). Good luck on your purchase, any radio is better than no radio.

onesickpuppy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dual bander should be relativly easy menus, just program and set repeaters to channels for your area and travel area. I have an ICOM 706 HF&VHF detachable head which I program ahead of time, I also have a Kenwood TS2000 HF-1.2 Ghz, now that has lots of manual reading time, but now it is PC controled with HRD software. But if you have a buddy with a similar rig I surely would hook up with him.

73's
Lou

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Dual bander should be relativly easy menus, just program and set repeaters to channels for your area and travel area. [snip] But if you have a buddy with a similar rig I surely would hook up with him.

After some further reading elsewhere, I have decided to go with the Kenwood. Now to determine all of the stuff I need and the best place to get it from.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go online to American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO web site
and find out when the next "Hamfest" is.
It's a big flea market with people selling their junk and usually has several vendors there.
Or, ask your HAM friend, when & where is the next Hamfest.
You'll get alot of info at the one of these 'meets'.
They usually start at 8am and all the 'good stuff' is gone by 10am. About $5 to $6 to get in.
But -- Buyer Beware. Most guys are great but once in awhile someone is a ****.
:birgits_tiredcoffeePick up a copy of QST magazine when you are at the hamfest.
Kenwood has great radios . . . a little pricey compared to other moblie units ie., Icom, Yaesu, Alinco.
Also, check out texastowers.com or aesham.com or hamradio.com or randl.com or aaradio.com and DXEngineering.com

Good Luck ~ :waytogo: