Dual battery set up help with painless system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordraptorfans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI there .

Does anyone have any experience with the painless Painless Digital Power Manager and also using a manual switch to override it
The Painless Digital Power Manager is designed to keep the battery 1 charged then when its above 12.6 volts it will charge the battery 2.
Im looking for a set up so I can use the lights in the bed etc and know I always have a fresh battery in reserve.

I have a blue sea manual switch I was hoping to wire in to select between them and also use as kill switch

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FordRaptorFans,
A great idea...keep us informed. I cannot help you as I am unfamiliar with the Painless Wiring dual battery kit. Someone here will answer you soon...
You might try checking one of the marine forums as it's quite common to have a similar setup on boats; also try one of the RV forums.
Eddie

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FordRaptorFans,
Check the November issue of Dirt Sports...there's an article on a dual battery setup. Also on the Dirt sports website under electrical there is a write up from 2009 on a painless dual battery system...Good luck!
Eddie

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the setups we do usually only consist of a 200amp relay wired to the second battery. basically it disconnects the second battery from the vehicle when the key is off and charges when the vehicle is running. im not familiar with the unit he is talking about, but i can definitely look over the instruction manual to help figure it out if its complicated

OP
OP
F

fordraptorfans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for the replies. I ended up calling painless and I basically screwed up. The big red switch cant work with the painless system. The painless system treats both batteries as 1. It charges batter 2 when battery 1 is above 12.6v

It comes with a little button you press if you want to use the battery 2 to start the truck ( combine them) .

So not sure if its good or bad for what I wanted originally. Which was to pull up to camp and be able to run down my battery 2 and then always have battery 1 in reserve. I guess painless will run down my battery 1.