Dual Band / Ham / 2-Way / Amateur Radio Install (and FRS/GMRS mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I picked up a used TM-V71 yesterday at a hamfest. Now I need to get the rest of it and get it installed!

Kenwood uses special cable (ethernet with a metal braid over shield) for their mic cord. Some have reported using Cat 6 as an extension. I will give that a try, too.

Last edited:

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the FT-857D as my base radio. I can take some measurements for ya. Also the head unit can be remotely mounted with the separation kit.

Where are you mounting your face plate? This is the radio I will be eventually installing, also please post pictures of it and the antennas if you would not mind that is a badass radio and worth every dime:waytogo:

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where are you mounting your face plate? This is the radio I will be eventually installing, also please post pictures of it and the antennas if you would not mind that is a badass radio and worth every dime:waytogo:

This radio is not actually in my truck. I have a FT-8800 in the truck for mobile use.

Here are some pics of the FT-857D. Base station setup with all the extras and with the face plate removed and remote bracket attached.

2860.jpg
2863.jpg
2864.jpg
2870.jpg

It looks like you could mount it here

2867.jpg

On top of my FT-8800 for reference. Install thread here ---> http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/yaesu-ft-8800r-install-12575/

2868.jpg

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
DANG!! That has to be at least $5k-$10k worth of radio equipment, if not more!

'12 Race Red Raptor SCAB (Loaded to the max!)
SCABS are faster!!
'08 SeaDoo RXP-X Clockin' 80+ GPS

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add some info that wasn't covered by BigJ's awesome write up.

FRS and GMRS overlap the same frequencies, but GMRS allows for more wattage. FRS is Family Radio Service and GMRS is the General Mobile Radio Service. The FCC governs both of these, but only a license is needed for GMRS. It's not the same HAM license I or BigJ have, it's basically just a license you pay for and is good for 10 years.

The quiet codes that were referred to are actually Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System or CTCSS. They are an inaudible tone that is played along with your transmission. Two radios that are set to the same CTCSS, or security code on FRS/GMRS, can talk and hear each other. The way is works is the radio is set to a CTCSS or security code and it only listens to and plays out received transmissions that have that CTCSS. Anything else on that frequency it ignores if it has a different CTCSS.

Yes, modifiying a radio to transmit out of band, like on FRS is illegal, but it's like speeding. It happens, just don't get caught.

I prefer MURS to FRS. MURS, or Multi Use Radio Service, is the old FRS that was available to us. The difference is that it's in the 2m band, so the waves propagate further as they are longer wavel lengths, and it's allowed up to 2 watts, so more power is more good! If you listen to the MURS frequencies, you'll hear Walmarts, Home Depots and the like.

HAM is fun and can be useful for great distances, depending on conditions and equipement. I was on Mt. Hood, sitting in my tent at 9000 feet, and talking to an IRLP repeater in Portland. I was able to make an IRLP call to a node near my home and talk to my wife and son, on a two way radio, but 2000 miles away.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
HAM is fun and can be useful for great distances, depending on conditions and equipement. I was on Mt. Hood, sitting in my tent at 9000 feet, and talking to an IRLP repeater in Portland. I was able to make an IRLP call to a node near my home and talk to my wife and son, on a two way radio, but 2000 miles away.
I would love to hear more about this. How does it work?

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So IRLP is Internet Radio Linking Protocol. You connect a simple radio to a computer, and then connect to the radio with yours via simplex radio transmissions. The card that does the interface allows you to essentially make a VoIP call to another IRLP node, provided you know it's node number. It's pretty awesome. Google Earth has an IRLP plug in so you can see nodes near you, what the freq and CTCSS is, what the number is, if it's open or not and who the contact is. Usually people are very friendly and willing to share. The node I connected to in Portland was always set to a reflector, which is like a big chat node, because a local user was seeing impared and didn't have a radio that could send DTMF tones. So I would disconnect from the reflector, call the node near my house, talk to the wife and kids, and then disconnect, and reconnect the reflector for the guy in Portland. Since it was a repeater, and it was open to everyone, anyone listening got to hear our conversation, which was moving seeing as how two people almost died on the mountain, and they enjoyed a conversation between man and wife under those circumstances. It opened up IRLP usage to folks that maybe had never seen (or heard) it used like that before.

Last edited: