Center dash speaker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trugrit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the center dash 3.5" speaker? I am in the process of replacing the wonderful stock Sony speakers with Polk DXi speakers. I got the DXi 350 but it is to big. The larger magnet hits the radio support. If anyone has found a 3.5" speaker that fits, please let me know.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i haven't replaced it but I've removed it multiple times to full the dash apart you might be able to find a shallow mount 3.5" speaker one made specifically made for a shallow application like a box under the rear seat or in a small compartment. measure the depth and try and match it that way but a lot of high end companies make shallow mount speakers for tight spots like this!

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just make sure it's an useless support and not one that supports something majorly. Lol.

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
id say get the dimensions your needing and call up crutch field theyve always been helpful with that kinda stuff

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why you want a center speaker?

actually i should go look at mine and see what will fit. i personally dont even care about the center speaker. you would need a 5.1 amp, or a seperate one, or dedicate 2 channels off your amp to power it. but i will take a look tomorrow morning and let you know what i think the best option is

OP
OP
trugrit

trugrit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The system has a center speaker so I thought I would upgrade it as well. Not sure how much sound it actually contributes but thought it couldn't hurt.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since you are already running polk, the best thing to do is find another polk speaker that has a smaller magnet. do not replace with a different brand speaker. sound imaging will be different. i really find no need for a center channel speaker in a vehicle, but some auto manufacturers have decided to put them in because now its called an upgraded audio system....... sure........

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Center speakers are generally a gimmick in OEM systems as busa has eluded to. They like using them to upsell the system capabilities. In most situations the center speaker hurts the sound stage imaging more than it helps.

I disagree however that there is "no need" for it in a vehicle. It all depends in what you are trying to accomplish. In your situation, there likely isn't much of a benefit if any, but many high end SQ installs utilized them, and if done properly it does a lot to improve the sound stage centering and elevation.