Bulging switch wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Hi,

Can I get a little help from the experts on this one? I am looking to install a bulgin switch for a pair of bumper mounted spots on the Mrs's Jeep but I missed electronics 101 growing up and now need special ed.

I want to rig the spots to be triggered by the high beams, only when the latch switch is engaged. I would like for the LED on the switch to be on when the ignition is on and the switch is on (latched), whether the high beams are on or not.

So operation would be like this:
a. Ignition off, Switch any, High beam any: LED OFF
b. Ignition on, Switch off, High beam any: LED OFF
c. Ignition on, Switch on, High beam off: LED ON
d. Ignition on, Switch on, High beam on: LED ON

I have been taking the 1&4 DC connection from the high beam circuit as showing the diagrams below and the lights function as I want, but the switch LED is off when the switch is closed but the high beam is off (c on my list).

I hope i have been clear. Any help would be much appreciated to get the switch working as per a-d above.

Thanks,
K

22mm.jpg
PlasmaGlow Switch.jpg
PlasmaGlow Rear.jpg

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not 100% sure what you are trying to get, but i think you need a different switch. most switches have power when engaged and will light up. trying to get the switch to light up on ignition would require opening that switch up and attempting ro run a seperate power to the light on the switch itself.

OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
Yeah, I think you are right. In order for the led to be on when the switch is pressed but not sending power to the relay (because the high beam is off) I need a switch which actually switches two separate circuits with the one latch.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

K

D

Deleted member 12951

not 100% sure what you are trying to get, but i think you need a different switch. most switches have power when engaged and will light up. trying to get the switch to light up on ignition would require opening that switch up and attempting ro run a seperate power to the light on the switch itself.

a ghost appeared...

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know of any switches that have a separate circuit for an internal warning light.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
This isn't a momentary switch, it's latching.

I have it working and operating the lights as I want: button pushed, aux lights come on with high beams, button not pushed only high beams come on. It's just that the internal LED only lights up when the high beams are on. I want the switch to light up when the switch is on regardless of whether the high beams are on or not. i.e. So I can look down when my high beams are off and see whether I am going to blind the nice state trooper when I flash him, or just give him the high beams.

Basically I need a DPST version of this switch to make it do what I want it to do. Just thought you gurus might have a fix to allow me to use a SPST switch.

Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
Kahuna

Kahuna

Reaction score
Awesome. If I could buy a black bulgin 22mm switch that was DPST or DPDT I would obviously! If i hadn't already drilled the dash I would also consider other options.

I will see if I can find a wiring diagram.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20