Back up sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012, therefore it didn't come with back up sensors. I've been noticing more and more cars with aftermarket kits that look oem.

My thoughts are adding a kit to the rear and front bumper. Does anyone know of a good kit or if this will work in the front? What will the interior indicators look like and maybe some mounting options? Is this a big job that's more frustrating than its worth ?

Noah?

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012, therefore it didn't come with back up sensors. I've been noticing more and more cars with aftermarket kits that look oem.

My thoughts are adding a kit to the rear and front bumper. Does anyone know of a good kit or if this will work in the front? What will the interior indicators look like and maybe some mounting options? Is this a big job that's more frustrating than its worth ?

Noah?

Do you have the camera?

OP
OP
CP RAPTOR

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do, I have both. The problem with that camera is its constantly dirty and nearly impossible to see when covered in wet salt spray etc. the front is just a pain in the ass to turn on in a parking lot and my wife is too short to see out of it well when pulling up to walls, snow banks etc.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since 2013-14 are the only years that came with sensors, i highly doubt your truck is prewired for them. the kits we use have an option of a visual indicator, but a lot of times our customers dont want to see it so we go without, or hide it. the speaker provides the audible tone for distance measuring. most of the vehicles we do, we get the paint code and have them color matched to the bumper. im not sure if our bumper has a paint code though. i would probably not go with front sensors. they are more annoying than anything else. oem has a good integration like on the european vehicles, but the aftermarket systems i have installed, have had a couple complaints while in traffic. the install is simple. drill 4 holes, run wires and connect to reverse (+) and ground.

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do, I have both. The problem with that camera is its constantly dirty and nearly impossible to see when covered in wet salt spray etc. the front is just a pain in the ass to turn on in a parking lot and my wife is too short to see out of it well when pulling up to walls, snow banks etc.

Bummer, I was going to say I use the camera more than the sensors, Wonder if it would be easier to split your front camera washing line and run one to the back? We don't use salt in ca so I can relate to what you're experiencing. But personally I could live without the sensors. In my truck does not have them in the front,, if they can put upfront one in like the Mercedes where it kind of helps you with cruise control in traffic would be neat! To be honest I was kind of leery about the back up camera idea but I find myself using it a ton now

OP
OP
CP RAPTOR

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my camera, from April-December then it's coated all the time. It would be similar to driving on a very wet dirt road every time you drive, you know the kind of road that has the brown mist behind you and can barely see your taillights when it dries, except it's a clear mist that turns white in seconds on a cold day.

If its not salt mist from the roads, well it has rained minimum of 4 days a week here for the past 7 weeks so the roads are wet often, even backing up at night all I see is water on the camera, to the point I've removed my tag lights to help with the glare lol.

I mostly want it for the front, just figured it couldn't hurt to have the rear. The camera is a terrible location, my gmc and ram didn't have this issue.

OP
OP
CP RAPTOR

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're in the tailgate handle. I know it doesn't sound like much but it seems to just not be affected as badly. Maybe it's the shape or design of the tailgate or the angle of the camera but I immediately noticed how bad it was on the Ford the first time I drove it on a wet day. That extra few inches of height keeps it much cleaner, especially the dodge where the handle is really high.