Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 1]

Back up Camera Issues

This is a discussion on Back up Camera Issues within the Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
2011 SCREW - Back up camera was out when I bought the truck over a year ago so I replaced ...

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Back up Camera Issues
2011 SCREW - Back up camera was out when I bought the truck over a year ago so I replaced it with a used one off ebay. Camera worked awesome until about a week ago. The screen flashes the picture, and will eventually get worse and worse. Last night I disconnected it from under the truck to make sure all was clean. No corrosion or anything out of place looking. Plug it back up, works for about 10 sec perfect, and then goes back to flashing and gradually worse.

Thoughts? Where can I source a camera only that is not $250???

dhanni848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
again today randomly a good picture one time that never went away, and the rest of the time flashing. No one else had any problems?
Old 07-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
no one else has had any issues or experience with this?
Old 07-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Define flashing, picture then no picture, until image degrades. Or picture then white screen/black screen? FYI I am unsure of this trucks system but there are basically two types of imagining systems. Analog and digital. I suspect the systems in these trucks is analog and not the best either. If that is the case then the camera is constantly transmitting an image if it is powered, once image gets where it is going then it is processed and retransmitted to the display. Digital is processed at the camera and then sent to a central processor that then decides where it should go. I suspect your problem is likely in what ever processing unit is handling it after the camera. It may very well be that you have a intermittent short in between camera and processor that becomes more pronounced the longer it exists. Possibly to the point of ruining your camera. Look very carefully at the wiring from camera to cab and pay extra attention to any mods done that maybe anywhere that said wiring is.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by rmschaver View Post
Define flashing, picture then no picture, until image degrades. Or picture then white screen/black screen? FYI I am unsure of this trucks system but there are basically two types of imagining systems. Analog and digital. I suspect the systems in these trucks is analog and not the best either. If that is the case then the camera is constantly transmitting an image if it is powered, once image gets where it is going then it is processed and retransmitted to the display. Digital is processed at the camera and then sent to a central processor that then decides where it should go. I suspect your problem is likely in what ever processing unit is handling it after the camera. It may very well be that you have a intermittent short in between camera and processor that becomes more pronounced the longer it exists. Possibly to the point of ruining your camera. Look very carefully at the wiring from camera to cab and pay extra attention to any mods done that maybe anywhere that said wiring is.
Correct on the flashing. Goes from picture to black with some white lines, very quickly, and just gets worse. Your reason for analog makes sense. I will have to get some time to check out the wires, and there should be no mods since it is all factory under there. This morning...worked perfect
Old 07-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Wink
Originally Posted by dhanni848 View Post
Correct on the flashing. Goes from picture to black with some white lines, very quickly, and just gets worse. Your reason for analog makes sense. I will have to get some time to check out the wires, and there should be no mods since it is all factory under there. This morning...worked perfect
And has worked perfect for 2 days, I haven't touched a thing. Maybe it just fixed itself
Old 07-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

I would look for damage in the wiring harness from previous 4 wheeling. Common spot is drivers side by front door. Hangs low at that spot. Sounds like poor signal and the processor is having trouble with it. Explains the poor picture and blanking you are seeing.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Sounds good I will look at that spot hopefully tonight. I also noticed the other day that it reverses the picture too haha.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by rmschaver View Post
I would look for damage in the wiring harness from previous 4 wheeling. Common spot is drivers side by front door. Hangs low at that spot. Sounds like poor signal and the processor is having trouble with it. Explains the poor picture and blanking you are seeing.
I cannot find any wire damage and looked at basically all of it until it goes into the engine bay. Yesterday the camera went to solid black screen :(
Old 07-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Interesting you mention that the picture is reversed. As what should be left is right and vice versa. That is an indication the processor is not handling the signal correctly. In a purely analog system," think old CRT tube tv's" signals are processed from top to bottom left to right. A gun shots electrons at the screen in the above mentioned manner till a complete picture is scanned. With a composite system, analog to digital like in our trucks said analog signal is sent to a processor that then has to decide left to right or the other way around. This is typically done by a single bit in the signal telling the processor which side is which. If your processor is failing on you then you can get all the symptoms you describe. Not sure which processor handles the visual signal. I am sure Noah would know. Try to send him a PM. Noah is the expert in car audio/electronics. My expertise is more in automation and electronics. The two are similar but Noah has most likely seen your issue. He did the write ups stickies at the top of the part of the forum. Click on his name and you will get a pop up menu letting you pm him. Note He frequently works till late at night but has been great at responding when I had questions.

Last edited by rmschaver; 07-19-2017 at 08:25 PM.
rmschaver is offline   Reply With Quote