Anyone using a digital converter -> MFT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My NAV-TV is finally going in, tomorrow. To stream video from iPhone 5 I was thinking I need these:

Lightning Digital AV Adapter by Apple Amazon.com: Lightning Digital AV Adapter: MP3 Players & Accessories

ViewHD HDMI to Composite | AV Universal Converter for PAL & NTSC Standard TV (HDMI to AV Converter Metal Case (VHD-168)) by ViewHD Amazon.com : ViewHD HDMI to Composite | AV Universal Converter for PAL & NTSC Standard TV (HDMI to AV Converter Metal Case (VHD-168)) : Video Converters : Electronics

Anyone tried something like this?

OP
OP
D

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tipnring

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It works fine with my iphone or iPad. I don't use it very often so hopefully someone else will jump in. There was another thread see below.

I got this to work last night using the setup below. It plays any video that is on my Iphone 5 through the HDMI - lightning adapter & HDMI to AV converter.
I played video off Youtube and that worked. Video off ATT Uverse App would play on the phone but not through the HDMI cable to the Raptor Nav screen.

I was able to play a streaming ESPN basketball game.

My next test is to try the direct TV app and the Hulu plus app.

I tried to hook up apple TV but couldn't get that to work. if anyone has done this please let us know.
I turned on the Raptor WIFI and used my home wireless internet while parked in the driveway. I just wanted to see how that worked in case I ever needed to use this feature.

Originally Posted by tipnring
I have a 2013 Scab. Does anyone know the best way to use the Iphone 5 with the RCA cable for video feed? Does anyone make a lightning plug to RCA cord? Trying to set up my Navtv for video. I think that I can use an ipad with the RCA cord.

I found this when doing a google search.

"I ordered an HDMI cable, an RCA cable, a lightning to HDMI cable (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=45) and a hdmi to av converter (Amazon.com: ViewHD Universal HDMI to Composite / AV Video Converter, Support PAL / NTSC Standard TVs: Electronics)

I received the cables 2 weeks ago and received the hdmi2av converter today and I can report it works

The hdmi to AV converter needs to be powered by usb because the iPhone does not provide enough power through hdmi."

Just wondering what others were using. If you have a Iphone 5 and Navtv let me know what you are using.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
getting video sucks when it comes to iphone 5. it can be done. the only thing to watch for is that if the cables arent the same. i have had issues where people have bought non-apple cables and it not working. but with the apple cables, it did. it all depends on the company who makes the cable to make sure they are identical to the apple cables.

OP
OP
D

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally tried this tonight. It works, but boy the picture quality sucks. I'm guessing it's the conversion that kills it. Maybe I'll plug it into the RCA jacks on my TV to compare, but I'm definitely not impressed. The DVD player in our 10 year old minivan is about 1000x sharper. Kinda wish I saved the $85 I spent on the converter, apple hdmi dongle and cables.

OP
OP
D

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: The quality isn't so horrible when you actually play content. The iPhone screen mirroring looks godawful, but the morning news looks just fine. The real issue is practicality. Only 1 backseat passenger can see the screen, so there's not much of a use case for the MFT video input.