Android tablet GPS questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morning FRF'ers,
Im looking to set up an Android tablet up to use as a mobile GPS for my upcoming Colorado back roads vacation. I have a Samsung Tab 2 taking up space on the counter, and a Verizon 7" tablet thats underutilized too (still prefer my laptop). Will likely download Back Country Navigator unless Leadnav gets Android compatibility when Im ready to pull the trigger.

Questions;
Do I need a USB GPS antenna or is it sensitive enough to use inside the truck without one?
If so, which one works best for Android tablets?
Is the Verizon tablet worth considering with its built in cell service, or just dedicate the Samsung and go with it?

TIA
MIKE

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Morning FRF'ers,
Im looking to set up an Android tablet up to use as a mobile GPS for my upcoming Colorado back roads vacation. I have a Samsung Tab 2 taking up space on the counter, and a Verizon 7" tablet thats underutilized too (still prefer my laptop). Will likely download Back Country Navigator unless Leadnav gets Android compatibility when Im ready to pull the trigger.

Questions;
Do I need a USB GPS antenna or is it sensitive enough to use inside the truck without one?
If so, which one works best for Android tablets?
Is the Verizon tablet worth considering with its built in cell service, or just dedicate the Samsung and go with it?

TIA
MIKE
Hey Mike,
I use the Samsung tablet. I've used it to lead many runs, including GLRE'S Snoball for the past 3 years. The GPS signal has never been an issue in the truck once it acquires the GPS.
A few things you will want to do before your road trip.
1. You want to find a good mount for your tablet. I personally like the RAM mount with suction cup.
2nd. You will want to be sure to have it powered at all times. The backcountry navigator app along with the GPS uses the battery. The USB port in the Raptor is not strong enough to charge the tablet. Therefore, you need to use either the cigarette lighter to charge it or buy an adapter for the USB port.
3rd. You will want to download the maps in the region you will be going to at the beginning of each day. Or download the whole area prior to your trip. You will want to download at a zoom level of 16. This can take several hours to download depending on your Wi-Fi connection.

Best of luck, you may want to try out the tablet before your trip. And as always please post some pics when you get back.

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
www.runraptorrun.com

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Mike,
I use the Samsung tablet. I've used it to lead many runs, including GLRE'S Snoball for the past 3 years. The GPS signal has never been an issue in the truck once it acquires the GPS.
A few things you will want to do before your road trip.
1. You want to find a good mount for your tablet. I personally like the RAM mount with suction cup.
2nd. You will want to be sure to have it powered at all times. The backcountry navigator app along with the GPS uses the battery. The USB port in the Raptor is not strong enough to charge the tablet. Therefore, you need to use either the cigarette lighter to charge it or buy an adapter for the USB port.
3rd. You will want to download the maps in the region you will be going to at the beginning of each day. Or download the whole area prior to your trip. You will want to download at a zoom level of 16. This can take several hours to download depending on your Wi-Fi connection.

Best of luck, you may want to try out the tablet before your trip. And as always please post some pics when you get back.

Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)

Hey Joe,

What GPS app are you using?

OP
OP
Otis857

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe,
Im looking at what others here are using and at the Ram mount in particular.
Also I found a variety of USB GPS antennas that "are supposed" to work with tablets and wondered if its necessary. Thought was to put it on the dash or if its magnetic, mount it on the roof when in use.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Joe,

What GPS app are you using?
I use Backcountry Navigator with the Terra hybrid maps. You got to pay for the maps.
Thanks Joe,
Im looking at what others here are using and at the Ram mount in particular.
Also I found a variety of USB GPS antennas that "are supposed" to work with tablets and wondered if its necessary. Thought was to put it on the dash or if its magnetic, mount it on the roof when in use.
I really don't think you'll need the GPS antenna. In all the tree cover and pines that I've been through, it's never been an issue.

www.runraptorrun.com

SilverBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless the tablet you have comes with a GPS receiver you'll need something to pick up the GPS signal. I have a "Garmin glo" its a Bluetooth gps receiver. It picks up the GPS signal and sends it to the tablet via your Bluetooth. I just attached the Garmin glo to the dash with velcro I've never lost a signal from it and it works great . I think it was about $100.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As mentioned the internal gps in newer tablets is pretty good, but the go-to gps dongle a lot of us use is the "dual xps150". I was referred to use the "Bluetooth Gps" app in the play store to pair backcountry to the dongle

There are other options for both though. I toss the gps dongle up between the sunroof shade and glass