2014 usb ports... crap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maguro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is only 7 months old, and i have the 801a package both my usb ports in my center console are burnt out already. it started off that I would plug my iPhone in and my whole stereo and nav system would shut off and reboot, at first I thought maybe it was an update because thats what it looked like. Eventually it came to the point that I would plug in my phone and neither would charge it or connect. Tried changing usb wires and phones lol. Anyone ever hear of this happening?????:mad:

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck is only 7 months old, and i have the 801a package both my usb ports in my center console are burnt out already. it started off that I would plug my iPhone in and my whole stereo and nav system would shut off and reboot, at first I thought maybe it was an update because thats what it looked like. Eventually it came to the point that I would plug in my phone and neither would charge it or connect. Tried changing usb wires and phones lol. Anyone ever hear of this happening?????:mad:

Never an issue like that with my 12'....sounds like a trip to the dealer for warranty work!

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Using original Apple cable or an aftermarket?

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Odd. Almost sounds like you have a short somewhere.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your using an iPhone 6 with a Plus charger cable it will try to draw 2.1 amps.
I don't think the USB ports support that, I believe it's 1 amp at best, but someone would have to look at the manual.
Try using a non-plus cable if that's what your using.

Or get the right 12v car charger for the iPhone and Bluetooth

Last edited:

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a plus cable. The iPhone detects if the power source can support higher draw, the power source has to support it, the cable is not different.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You may be right.

I just had this happen this weekend, a friend lost his plus charger but had the cable.
I give him my Motorola Maxx charger to use and it wouldn't charge the iPhone 6 my daughter had an old iPhone cable and we tried that and it work.

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be right.

I just had this happen this weekend, a friend lost his plus charger but had the cable.
I give him my Motorola Maxx charger to use and it wouldn't charge the iPhone 6 my daughter had an old iPhone cable and we tried that and it work.

Yeah I have a 6 and I'm using a 6 charger gonna bring it to ford... hopefully will figure it out.. But a pain in the ass as of now