Truck bed tents?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's quite helpful info on the SnugTop Brian, thanks.

I'm mildly curious about a shell - it's something that I may consider more seriously later (after the first year of ownership). Because of the newness of the Raptor and info like yours on SnugTop, it's good to take a wait-and-see approach to aftermarket products especially ones as costly as a shell.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well Dan you can always go with the tow behind pop-up tent trailer. They make them big enough so you can crawl with it but obviously you can't do 90 mph in the desert with it attached. The trailers have always seemed like such a great way to bring your camp with you.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Scott, we really like the trailer idea best. But (there's always at least one), they're only useful when you set up a base camp. While towing a trailer offroad is doable it's not at all practical especially given the type of offroading the Raptor does. The small expedition trailers are quite compact and durable but they're expensive for what you get (sure, making your own is possible but that's another but) and at the end of the day you're still dragging around a trailer.

We've looked at smaller trailers - all we need is a bed, counter top/stove, fridge, shower and toilet - so the trailer doesn't have to be large at all. I've even thought about buying a well made box trailer and looking into modifying it so suit our needs. The bed could go up on rails when not in use leaving more usable space below (this is done in trailers commercially available).

So yes, trailers are appealing as long as you're committed to a base camp (IMO).

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gheeze. Yet another thread we put a lot of work into on the Z... now gone. I use truck tents all the time. This is the best IMO:

View attachment 54

I agree with the others on this one, it is canvas, has a steel frame and a carry bag. http://tinyurl.com/yb6frzp

There was a LOT more options in the thread we lost... including one that was attached to a clamshell top. I will try to resurrect it.

Falcon

Raptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just use a stand alone tent with an air mattress? The stand alones are bigger and cheaper. I am not saying it is a bad idea I just do not know the benefits. Plus a lot of the bed tents seem to wrap over the sides where it could damage the paint. Any input would be appreciated.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Stand alone tents are a pain in the butt to put up at night. I use them when I go to Bluegrass festivals, - I usually get there after dark. Real nice to just pull up, pop up a tent in the bed of your truck and snooze. In the morning I can tool around the campground and re-locate.

2. Ever set up a tent in the rain? In the Mud? It is 10 times worse to break a tent down in those conditions. No matter what the weather does, when it is time to go it takes me 10 minutes to break down my tent (nice and clean) stuff it in a big plastic trunk I have even if it is soakin wet. I dry it out when I get home.

3. Spiders and snakes like to sleep with you. It's a lot tougher for them to get into your truck bed. Except for the polevaulting egg sucker snake... you just have to keep your tent zipped <G>.

4. Never had a problem with rubbing on the sides, but if I was concerned at all it would be simple to put a beach towel or sheet between the fenders and the sides of the tent. The overlap is only for shedding rain anyway, not a lot of movement when you get er all battened down.

5. Good tents have a zippered access port for access thru the back window into the cab. Nice to run power thru, and have access to items in the back seat.

6. Did I mention you are always dry and bug/snake/wolverine free?

There are some drawbacks, like size for one. But if you are by yourself it is way big enough. On long festivals I sometimes take my big tent and set it up the next day, on my terms and time-line. I HATE that time when everyone is running around going nuts setting up their tent. Same goes for breaking camp, I can break down my big tent the day before the exodus starts. I am drinking a beer and playing a few more songs whilst everyone else is pulling their hair out. Of course, I help my buddies break camp if the need it. And they help me drink beer if I need it. Us Bluegrass musicians are some helpful folks <G>

The only major drawback is due to the height of the tailgate and the sweet lookin Ford the tent is on. I have a hell of a time with pink breasted mattress thrashers... Can't seem to keep them out of the tent <G>.

Falcon

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
attachment.php
Here ya go

You have OBVIOUSLY never seen me "Mount my tent" after playing music and drinkin beer all night. I would KILL myself trying to get in this thing <G>.

Next morning. "...you seen Dave?" "I think that's him over there on the ground underneath his Raptor." "Is that a SNAKE he is cuddled up with" "HEY... don't ask, don't tell!"

<GGG>

Falcon