Truck bed tents?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's a pic of Mark's Raptor with a bed tent:
IMG_1612.jpg

Those of you that have it or something like it, how do you like it? Which do you have? How much did it cost you? Link(s)? Would you recommend it? Think it would fit a guy 6'9" tall?

I'm considering this idea; the more I think about wanting to camp, the more I like the idea of having something that works with and in the bed.

Thoughts?

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was very impressed with the "Oversize" Tent Cot. Very easy to set up and take down. They also make a two person version. I wanted to buy the two person but all the local stores were out... it was a last minute purchase the night before the first Raptor run.

The one person version did fit nicely in the Raptor bed even though that's not what it's designed for. The one support leg fit right in the groove between the tailgate and the bed which made it very stable.

(A two person model might be a little wide to set up and easily use in the bed... 53" wide.)

I first saw this product here:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/camping-equipment/66532-tent-cot-kamp-rite-review.html

Last note: The "oversize" is very long... 90"... lots of leg room. The other models (including the two person) are not quite as long... 84".

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been thinking about bed options for camping as well. My most recent idea was to consider a shell / cap. :O Seriously. But I 'd want to build a platform on top of the wheel wells so I can put a queen sized air mattress on top. Yes, there are air mattresses that are made to fit on the floor of the bed and they go around the wheel wells but they're narrower than I want so it needs to go on top of the wheel wells. These air mattresses looks like a sideways "H" to fit around the wheel wells.

If I was to go with a cap or shell I'd pack my camping stuff inside and take it out when we reach the campsite. I have no problem with this since my camping gear is all in plastic containers with lids. Fast in and out. The great thing is we wouldn't have to set up the tent each night and on expeditions where there's no base camp like our recent 3-day Death Valley trip, that's a great thing.

So, a cap / shell is a consideration. By the way, I thought about a trailer which would be ideal for base camps but I also like driving over 55 MPH and not hauling a trailer so I'm trying to make the camping experience with the Raptor the best I can.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of times in our country it is too cold to sleep in the metal bed of a truck without quite a bit of insulation. The air traveling under the bed makes for a really cold experience. I prefer sleeping on the ground in a tent with a floor and using thermorests. Just my .02

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan, sounds like you want a lot. Just remember there was a guy who put a snugtop on his Raptor, then took it off and sold it a few days later. He said the truck handled differently with the top on it.

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually like the Tent mark has, Its not made for the Truck bed, but its sure looks like it belongs there.
I've never really gone camping (and i'm in the army, wierd right?!) or on one of these offroad trips. You mentioned you had all your stuff in bins and what not. Can you describe what you take out with you on these runs and camping? I know the basic first aid and recovery items. And that other thread that you'll need a whole other truck to carry the things listed haha. Pics will be very well appreciated. Just to give me an idea of what i'd take out with me.

Also, for your idea of an actual full bed without the cut out for the wheel well. You might be looking into a "false floor" type set up. four legs at each corner of the bed as high as the wheel well with either a plywood "deck" going across it and resting on the wheel wells (with other support beams as well), you can store some stuff underneath it (as long as it doesnt shuffle to the front of the truck so you cant reach it lol) and place the air mattress on top. A very crafty carpenter can create it very easily.

As for the tent, i'd say one of these . .
trucktent3.jpg

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's the product I was referring to: Truck Bedz

From their website: "The original “Expedition” series is a very tough, abrasion resistant product that is made of nylon cloth coated with urethane, just like a high-end backpack. The “Expedition” series includes both the High Flow Airpump and the Wedge carry bag at no extra charge."

FYI: These mattresses run less than $200 for their best/largest units.

nt1.jpg

My concept is to build a platform over the wheel wells which would support a queen-sized air mattress with no wheel well cutouts which would provide a wider sleeping area. Storage underneath would be accessed by either sliding containers out from under the platform or simply lifting the platform up (2 or 3 hinged sections would be doable).

BTW, there are all kinds of bed storage products available including a variety of slide-out drawers under platforms. You can see some here:
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Truck_Vault/truck_vault_vehicle_equipment_storage.htm

t-ss1N.jpg

The issue here is that the height of the platform and the air mattress on top of it would require more clearance than a standard shell would provide.

One of the tents for the pickup truck bed would be a solution for this but it would involve setting it up and tearing it down each night and morning which is what I would hope to avoid.

This site provides details on 7 different models of tents for trucks:
http://www.tentsontrucks.com/1734/

This one's about $220:

sportztrucktentIII.JPG

And this one's about $300:

Feature%20Photo%20A%20sm.jpg

Dan, sounds like you want a lot. Just remember there was a guy who put a snugtop on his Raptor, then took it off and sold it a few days later. He said the truck handled differently with the top on it.

Thanks Scott, for reminding me. I remember this quite well actually because (A) I don't buy it and (B) he's a South West group member (local Raptor owner).

Many many shells are bought and used each year and that was the first time I've ever heard anyone say a fiberglass shell is so heavy that it affected the way a 6,000 lb. truck handled. I personally don't buy it and that is not something that will stop me from considering a camper shell as an option. I am trying to find out how much the typical shell weighs but so far that information has eluded me.

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan...what you posted was exactly what I was talking about . Except you actually found a good platform (Truck Vault) which the extreme series is the way to go. And not my hillbilly makeshift idea.

awvault_main.jpg
Space for the air mattress and the tent to go on top. and you can stow the tent and your gear in there more than likely with the one drawer divider. Close it up with your Bakflip and ride. This seems like the perfect solution IMO.

Sgt Williams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That above would actaully work. You guys are going to make come cross country to one of these outings aren't you? Maybe I can get stationed in San Diego...

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I just ordered a fiberglass SnugTop for my dads F150 and the salesman informed me SnugTop released info stating their shells rub the metal fenders just below the plastic bed top on Raptors. If you look at the Raptor fender it comes out just a hair wider than the plastic. I'm not sure about other companies but SnugTop prefers not to sell the wrap-over designs to Raptor owners. Some companies do sell the type that sit on the bedrails but then you are left with the plastic showing...may not be a concern with the Tuxedo Black???

I can get you the weight of the shell if that would help you Dan. The last shell I purchased for my Toyata Tacoma was only a couple hundred pounds. Not much but when you start adding all the additional gear for camping that's where you are going to feel the difference. Not to mention the ability to hold more stuff when you aren't limited by bed height.