Slide in Campers for a SCREW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beallen25

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this on the forum so I figure this is a good starting point.
The better half and I have a vision, haha, we want a slide in camper for the SCREW to take to my chump/lemons races, Talladega, stage rallies, and out west. With a slide-in I could still pull my race car, and when I am not pulling my trailer it seems like it would be an easy long drive out to UT, CO, MT, CA.
Is anyone running a slide-in camper? If so, pop-up? Cab-over? … Where’d you get it?

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this on the forum so I figure this is a good starting point.
The better half and I have a vision, haha, we want a slide in camper for the SCREW to take to my chump/lemons races, Talladega, stage rallies, and out west. With a slide-in I could still pull my race car, and when I am not pulling my trailer it seems like it would be an easy long drive out to UT, CO, MT, CA.
Is anyone running a slide-in camper? If so, pop-up? Cab-over? … Where’d you get it?

I looked into these when I was out in Utah for weekend excursions. The issue is the payload capacity (there are multiple post on the forum about payload). Being a half ton truck the payload is roughly 1000 lbs. plus or minus without payload modifications (ie. air bags), you will also loose some payload capacity with your pull behind trailer (tongue weight). Four Wheel Campers make some lightweight pop-up truck campers but the Swift is the smallest with a dry weight of 925, add the twenty gallons of fresh water and your over stock payload. I also looked at Phoenix Truck Campers which do custom truck campers and have a model they designed for the Raptor but weight is still an issue. Adventurer has a small hard side camper but at 1600 dry weight you will need some serious suspension mods like heavy duty helper springs and sway bars. Hellwig makes some good products for towing and payload.

In the end I decided against it and am now looking at Caravan Style Offroad Campers. Good luck with your search.