Any Light or Ultra Light Backpackers out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I love backpacking, but due to the budget at the time of my gear purchases, I would not call much of what I own "lightweight". As I have not done a whole lot lately, I can't justify upgrading, either. I currently use a Kelty external frame pack that I think blows through half of your base pack weight!! As I upgrade, I had planned on getting lighter gear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey just getting out there is 90% of the battle. The choices in gear is basically something for us to talk about when we're stuck inside :)

I've always been basically stuck with whatever fits when it comes to backpacks. I measure out at a 24.5" torso length. 99.9% of backpacks go up to 23" at their biggest. When I discovered the GG Gorilla I freaked out... an off the shelf pack that *almost* fits?? I'm in!

And really it is close enough. It doesn't breath as well as I'd like, and I usually end up with a super sweaty back because of it. But other than that, its been a great find for me. Not cheap by any means though, that's for sure.

Dammit Will why do you live 1/2 across the country? I've been looking for a backpacking buddy here locally (since I really don't like to go solo, and its much harder for Joy to break away as often as I'd like) but other than showing up to stuff like meetup.com groups stag, I've been out of luck. All my buds are techy nerdy types that that think "camping" is something you do with a pizza, beer, an iPad and WiFi feed. :p

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got my multi day / 3 season base weight down to 17lbs, and that includes a 3 person freestanding tent at 3.5lbs. Not too bad. But definitely not ultralight.

Here's my current gear list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhEl4IG9csrOdGFuZ3ZWYUJnX1ZiTDdQdWFfSXdqelE&hl=en_US

Anyone else into lightening up their gear compliment when hitting the trail?

I realize this is from last year, but I just looked through your list - curious what the safety pins are for.

A good thing for bleeding control is a maxi-pad. They're light, individually packaged well, and perfect for controlling bleeding from a large cut. I think they'll actually hold more than your surgical sponges.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My daughter and I climb Colorado 14ers every summer. We go fairly light. The majority of what we carry is water. It's lunch and trail mix, a water repellant jacket, a hat, gloves, bug junk, sun junk, and water. Light and fast. We did the 18 mile Mt. Harvard climb in a day. (We weren't worth much the day after, though!)

beartracks

Reaction score
That is crazy light! You even have a 3-man tent and a chair! Very impressive list, thanks for sharing it.

I backpack hunt a fair amount, so I have additional clothes and hunting gear, but for a 7 day hunt I'm usually around 50 lbs. without my bow or gun.

I like that water filter. Not sure what my Omni weighs, but I'm sure its quite a bit more than that!

BT

Ni9mm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is the best Jetboil? Or what is the difference between the products? I cant seem to figure it out.

Ill be doing a 7 day hike thru Ocala National Forest in late March. Looking for pack, stove, tent and other suggestions.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
What is the best Jetboil? Or what is the difference between the products? I cant seem to figure it out.

Ill be doing a 7 day hike thru Ocala National Forest in late March. Looking for pack, stove, tent and other suggestions.
My knowledge is a little out of date, so take my opinion w/ a grain of salt.

You mention JetBoil. If you are looking at eating freeze dried / dehydrated meals only, that will work great. If you want to cook something other than that, I would look for a liquid fuel stove (better cold weather / high altitude performance, some models will even burn diesel or gasoline in a pinch) or a canister stove (better simmering, easier, cleaner). I have an MSR WhisperLite which has been around for a while and is a great stove.

I can't ever offer anything on a pack these days. But go somewhere where you can try it on and get it properly fitted to you. It will cost more that ordering it off of the internet, but you are getting a service along with it.

As far as a tent goes, 1 person, 2 person, tarp, what are you looking for?