What are your pressures?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking for a rule of thumb for how much air in the tires in different driving conditions.

Let's assume stock wheels and tires.

What pressure for the following conditions? Did I cover every condition below?

Paved Roads - (Assume 38 PSI?)
Beach Sand -
Dune Sand - (if different)
Desert Running -
Rock Crawling -
Snow covered roads -
Gravel Roads -
Mud -

Thanks for the education.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Looking for a rule of thumb for how much air in the tires in different driving conditions.

Let's assume stock wheels and tires.

What pressure for the following conditions? Did I cover every condition below?

Paved Roads - (Assume 38 PSI?)

Beach Sand - 15 psi

Dune Sand - (if different) 10-12psi

Desert Running - 22-25psi

Rock Crawling - samsies

Snow covered roads - what's snow?

Gravel Roads - samsies

Mud - 15 psi

Thanks for the education.

Unfortunately, unless you are in a specific place, like the dunes, you'll have to prepare for a wide variety of situations. Sometimes you'll be driving paved roads in between dirt sections and you don't want to air up and down for a few miles of asphalt. With the stock tires if you go down to 25psi you should be good. If you get stuck you can go down to the desired air pressure. Feel free to go to single digits to get out of a tough situation and air back up once you're out and just don't roll the bead off the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am under pressure (from my wife) to drive like a normal, sane human being. Whatever that means.

I run more around 40-44 for pavement, gravel roads and desert running. I want more solid action of the steering without that little extra roll of the sidewall.

In snow, I leave it at road levels unless I get into problems. Then I lower it enough to get traction. By that point, I don't care about a presure gauge, I just want to get out. I've been breaking open roads that are deeper than running board high at 40.

Ice=chains.

Mud varies too much to tell. Too low, catch a rut and break a bead.

Rock crawling....don't go out with Jeep guys, they laugh. It's a balance between tire pressure and clearance. 20ish works for me. Some Jeepists have to pick up their lower jaw off the ground when they see a big fat Raptor make it through a goat path.

I couldn't tell but assume you carry a compressor. You really "shouldn't" be running 20psi back to town. It is probably okay, just a "shouldn't do that" kind of thing. Think of tire pressures as a girl in college, it's fine to experiment.

OP
OP
hkguns

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I will be carrying a portable compressor in my off road kit, not permanently powered and mounted, but readily available with a decent duty cycle @120 PSI.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been running 45-50 since new (2012). 47,000 miles on originals, 12,000 of that is towing. Tires look like another 10,000 is possible. Probably a bit over half is paved road driving or not towing.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
normal every day pressure 40psi..
snoball trip, never messed with pressure.
phoenix open mudfest 16, never messed with pressure..
silver lake sand dunes went down to 18psi