From VA to the Canadian Rockies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
beachz

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the final tally is in... 7380 miles in 15 days! Longest day was about 17 hours when we drove from the west side of Yellowstone to Des Moines, IA.

We will be going through the pictures we took with our real cameras over the next few weeks and I will post the album link on our photography site. Everything we have put up so far has been from our phones.

I can't wait to see the wolf shots we took on the way out of Yellowstone!!!! Never thought I would have the opportunity to see a wolf in the wild.

20141105_145042.jpg

Bigeffr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I read your blog and it sounds like a lot of driving but a great trip. I have added something like this to my bucket list now :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
beachz

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I read your blog and it sounds like a lot of driving but a great trip. I have now added something like this to my bucket list now :)

Very cool! Thank you for the kind words. It was a lot of driving but I can tell you I would do it again tomorrow if I had the leave and the money. :)

Rockdoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Beachz: Wish I would have known you were coming to my "back yard"... I would have happily given you any assistance, ideas, local road trips et al to give you the best experience. It is beautiful up the Columbia Ice fields Parkway to Jasper, Lake Louise isn't it?. When I was living in your country, {Wyoming / Colorado} it made me miss home while up in Vale / Aspen / and West Glacier was / is, awesome. Hope you tell all that we are not the stereotypical "frozen North" ... as is the impression most in the U.S. have of our country. As I like to tell people, Calgary is a sister city to Denver, proximity to Rocky Mountains and climate is pretty much the same. It does get quite warm in summer as well but our seasons are a little shorter. Did you experience a "Chinook" day at all?. Occasionally temps can be -20 in morning and run up to +60 by night. Pretty neat experience and unique to this area. Apparently DeCaprio experienced one while filming Revenant and peed his pants as he was convinced Al Gore was right and the world was coming to an end .....Ha Ha Ha.
Poor little Hollywood wimp, **** baby. Hey DeCaprio! Google it!. And please.... just stay in Hollywood.
Glad you came up, if any others do the same, let me know. If I am home I would love to show off our natural wonders here. Reciprocate the hospitality I was shown while living / working in your chunk of North America.
Great post.

Rockdoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tagged up with and read your blog. EXCELLENT photos! Wonderful road trip. I see you were well looked after while here. So glad you enjoyed the visit. I am trying to talk my domestic goddess into a "like trip" but to your country instead. Same truck, a Devon Rex cat and mate who likes "the drive"..... We also feel that the trip IS the vacation. Would love to explore the southern states for the history and scenery and people. I am currently off the Alaska Highway tonight....... {a lot further north} and am used to seeing my "American cousins" venturing north on this amazing road while I am heading up here to work but MUST treat my Tuxedo SE to a warmer clime .... one day. Thanks so much for the kind words about Canada, am so glad you were shown courtesy and friendship as it continues to make me proud to be a Canadian and stress to our best friends how we feel about them. Best posting I've read on the forums yet ha ha.
The "Ole fossil fornicator".

OP
OP
beachz

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words @Rockdoc! We had a blast and hope to get up your way again. It that happens I will certainly look you up. Right not we are looking to possibly move both our careers way north and way west. :) If that happens, I see many trips up your way. We don't mind the cold, love the snow and winter sports, and spend most of our time outdoors. Where we are right now requires a bit of a hike to do a lot of the things we love. We are looking for some open space and unpaved trails.

Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Look me up next time your in Sioux Falls area We don't get out much and the wife and I'd like an outing even if it's just eating, I'm good at that.