Tips on pulling cars (rescue) out of ditch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought a three way ball hitch and welded a recovery hook on the blank side, choke one end around the stuck vehicle and put the loop over the hook.

Just make sure you always pull in drive never attach to the front of your truck and try to pull in reverse. Also a heavy movers blanket over the strap/rope is a good idea. Unless some one is in really deep shit you wont need to yank just a nice Smith pull

I'm not sure what you've done but just a friendly safety suggestion to not use anything welded as a tow point.

Your suggestions to not tow in reverse and to put a movers blanket over the strap are both very good!

Doesn't the raptor have two recovery hoops in the front and back? i would of thought you would attach it to yours and use one d-ring on the recovered vehicle even if it was another raptor. No?

Good question. As per above I wouldn't recommend pulling someone using the front tow hooks (and going in reverse). Those tow hooks are for Dodges to use when towing your Raptor :help:

Rockafella

Reaction score
a lot of good tips have been added thus far... know the difference between a tow strap and a snatch strap. snatch straps actually stretch a bit and are used for snatch type rescues, tow straps don't stretch and shouldn't be used for snatching...

also - bags of sand or something of the sort to add a couple hundred pounds to the bed. hell, get a couple of lazy friends to ride along w/ u, even if they don't get out to help. they'll be doing more help than they know just sitting in the truck adding weight. if it's slick enough, you won't need a lot of effort (read power) to get a car moving, u'll just need some traction yourself... On ice, a prius w/ traction will pull a raptor w/o traction across a frozen lake;)

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
apuqe2eq.jpg
The pin will shear before the weld breaks.
I know most on here are not used to dealing with large amounts of weight and huge forces. The amount of force a truck puts on the hook or cable or strap is small. I weld lifting lugs subject to lifting anywhere from 10,000lb to 700ton. When your dealing with a weld and a mostly shearing force such as this it really doesnt need much weld to be very strong. It has a 1/2" fillet on all sides. I would say you could probably rip the receiver off the frame or straighten the hook before the weld would break.

Should back yard hop-a-long joe go welding tow hooks on his bumpers with his harbor freight flux core mig? No.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tiberius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be fine pushing a Prius out on foot.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
This is the best way to hook up a strap, no way for it to get hung up either. Use a socket extension, breaker bar, rolled up towel, etc.

bc-902_cc.jpg

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I pulled an 18 wheeler out of a snow pile this morning. I did everything exactly wrong, but that was the only way get him moving haha. Plus there was a crowd forming so I couldn't let them down.

OP
OP
BearLeeAsian

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. Didn't get to go out this morning because texas weather is effed up. But at least no snow/ice. Might be some tonight. We shall see