Raptor - Moab Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I just got my 2014 11k miles a few weeks ago. I live in Miami but am planning a trip out to Moab and vicinity for some time in February, probably mid to end. I am an amateur photographer and would like to photograph all that area. I do not know anything about off road and I don't have an interest in rock crawling or really difficult passages. But I do want to learn how to manage my truck off road on roads and trails that will get me to some of the very remote and beautiful areas. I do not want to put the truck at risk or ding and scratch it up. I want to use it within its capabilities and not push them up to their limits. I am sure my limits will come much quicker than the truck's limits. I think I can be out there about 2 to 3 weeks. Here are my questions;

1. Help in learning how to off road. Are there any schools or people who give training in off roading out there or on the way from Miami? I would gladly stop and take some lessons to get the feel for it.

2. Maps. I have the Moab guide to backroads and trails that ranks the difficulty. I am wondering if this is good and how tough the trails are for someone who is inexperienced.

3. How can I get copies of the maps, gps coordinates, etc of routes many of you have taken and identified, with your explanations of what levels of difficulty are there?

4. I am thinking day trips but I would not be adverse to staying in the truck a few nights if there are some good spots. I am wondering if my truck bed tent and a space heater are going to be enough for nights in February.

Thank you in advance for your comments,

Best,

Michael Cannon

Michael,

Shoot me a pm with your contact info. Easier to chat by phone then message here on a few of your question about this project.

As for school, honestly doing and learning is the best school. Rule 1 in the offroading we do is never go alone. Go with people that have done this before and ask / watch what to do.

Also there is a group going out to moab that would be good to go with. I would go with these guys. @The Macf is heading it up and is a good guy.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f113/moab-2016-a-44864/

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I just got my 2014 11k miles a few weeks ago. I live in Miami but am planning a trip out to Moab and vicinity for some time in February, probably mid to end. I am an amateur photographer and would like to photograph all that area. I do not know anything about off road and I don't have an interest in rock crawling or really difficult passages. But I do want to learn how to manage my truck off road on roads and trails that will get me to some of the very remote and beautiful areas. I do not want to put the truck at risk or ding and scratch it up. I want to use it within its capabilities and not push them up to their limits. I am sure my limits will come much quicker than the truck's limits. I think I can be out there about 2 to 3 weeks. Here are my questions;

1. Help in learning how to off road. Are there any schools or people who give training in off roading out there or on the way from Miami? I would gladly stop and take some lessons to get the feel for it.

2. Maps. I have the Moab guide to backroads and trails that ranks the difficulty. I am wondering if this is good and how tough the trails are for someone who is inexperienced.

3. How can I get copies of the maps, gps coordinates, etc of routes many of you have taken and identified, with your explanations of what levels of difficulty are there?

4. I am thinking day trips but I would not be adverse to staying in the truck a few nights if there are some good spots. I am wondering if my truck bed tent and a space heater are going to be enough for nights in February.

Thank you in advance for your comments,

Best,

Michael Cannon

Adam said everything that I could. Come hang out in February, rooms are still available. 95% of the stuff I have planned is high speed graded fire roads and sandy river beds. Lot's of fun.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll just keep my eye on it, I'm a farmer. I plant end of April threw middle of June. Then end of September threw end of November we harvest. Wife is realy busy now till February

So if the kids are taken cair of I'm free February March July August

roybot

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Reviving this long dead thread. Did this trip ever happen?

I'm going to Moab around July 15-22 2018. I will be driving my Raptor alone (2014 with RPG bumpstops, Deaver +3, Trophy front bumper, lights...prerunner rear bumper coming soon) I'll be doing as much fun shit as I can given I won't have the wife and the kids with me...i.e. mountain biking, rockclimbing, rafting, hiking...and of course offroading.

I am def a little worried about doing some of these trails alone in the middle of July. So far what I've come up with is the following:
-Hell's Revenge...I feel like I have to do at least part of it.
-White Rim Trail
-Moki Dugway Road

Anyways, if you guys have any tips for trails I should do or if anyone is around to join up for some or all let me know!