Personal Locator Beacon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonoma

Dispatch
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I know I am thinking about a personal locator beacon and started reading articles that go over different devices. I want to share this link to a good article that covers the pros and cons of some of the more popular devices. Read here.

The added security it brings is worth it in the long term.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, if I was to get one, I would get one of the diving ones since they are waterproof. Better off with a Sat phone I think.

OP
OP
sonoma

sonoma

Dispatch
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
From my reading the DeLorme Inreach satellite messenger would be the best option for SOS and sending/receiving messages. It is water resistant. Cons are that you absolutely have to have a clear line of sight to the sky, or else the signals or messages will not go through. Annual subscription cost too.

The alternative version would be the ACR ResQ device. It does not have two-way messaging. SOS signal strength is strongest even compared to the Inreach. No subscription fee - only possible cost could be the 5 year cycle battery ($$$)

With these devices I could get SOS and message family and friends (whether there is an emergency or not)

Satellite phones on the other hand would cost more with much more versatility - calling, texting - and I would go with the Iridium sat phones on a postpaid plan.

It is nice putting these ideas together though. Need more reading and reviews though.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
The one big benefit that I see to the beacons is that if you are seriously hurt, all you have to do is hit a button and your distress signal goes out with your location. I don't think a sat phone has that capability (not sure on that, though).

Last edited:
OP
OP
sonoma

sonoma

Dispatch
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly--- I am truly imagining a worst case scenario - I want a way to quickly and easily notify emergency and family/friends to get help.

It seems like an important precautionary measure especially out in remote areas

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I have a spot and I don't leave home without it. Good piece of mind and the tracking feature is cool when on long trips.

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a spot and I don't leave home without it. Good piece of mind and the tracking feature is cool when on long trips.

same... it also can sends a message home to the fam for checking in so they know your location.

OP
OP
sonoma

sonoma

Dispatch
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
did any of you think about the ACR ResQ device? If you look at the reviews of the devices you would see more about it, what's your opinion on it versus the spot?

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good info; thanks!

Most important thing of all is...

...never go off roading in one vehicle!

And never leave anyone (in your group or not) out there broken down or stranded.