New to TRUE off-road navigation - need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is my best option for chart plotting? Garmin, Lowrance, etc. Is it easy to upload trail maps (or waypoints) into these units?

Are there any decent apps for the iPad that would perform the same functions?

Have any of you used the TrekNow books or GPS files?

What is the best option for VHF radios? I assume a handheld would be my best option based on usage.

Any other tips on gear would be helpful.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Lowrance. Elite 5m or HDS5.

Handheld is 5watt, mobile unit is 50w.

10x the power for 2x cost. Won't do you any good unless you have someone to talk to.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check out Motion-X for your iPad. I've used it on my iPhone for hunting about 5 years & love it.

I've gotten turned around (read: lost) and quickly saw where I was using the app. I wanted to overlay a track I'd walked onto a satellite view to show a property boundary, and it worked perfectly (the property was 200 acres).

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Icom chase package. I think a few of our vendors resell the PCI race radios package. Includes a mag mount and antenna plus programming.

OP
OP
iSurvive

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check out Motion-X for your iPad. I've used it on my iPhone for hunting about 5 years & love it.

I've gotten turned around (read: lost) and quickly saw where I was using the app. I wanted to overlay a track I'd walked onto a satellite view to show a property boundary, and it worked perfectly (the property was 200 acres).

I already have Motion-X GPS and Motion-X Drive for my iPad and iPhone. I will have to give that a try.

It does appear to allow importing of waypoints and tracks.

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use MotionX GPS regularly on both my iPhone and iPad in the truck. With cached satellite and topo data, they are good for exploring new ground, and are obviously just fine for following a previously saved track. The ability to import and export waypoints and tracks allows me to manually keep it "synced" with Google Earth on my computer. I still do most of my trip planning on the computer. I can look over a new area on the computer, trace out a likely track, export it, import it into MotionX, and then follow the track the next weekend while recording a new real-world track. Even if I don't need a track for a particular day-trip, I find that my passengers really like to know where we are and where we are going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Banned
Reaction score
ive used motion x as well, but after i found GPS kit i use that all the time instead.
just another option.
i find GPS kit better, you may, or may not.

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use the Wouxon radio. Handheld, but kept up pretty good on the Raptor Run in Colorado last week (and we were doing a lot of yapping and bullshitting over the com). $100 shipped including the speaker/mic. Didn't have to charge it once over three days last week. The company I bought it from preprogrammed all FRF and racing frequencies into it. I doubt it will work on my baja 1000 trip in November as effectively. But, it gets the job done up here. Again, I'm in HR if you want to come check it out.

29qcbw4.jpg

OP
OP
iSurvive

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, let's meet up and check out your radio and compressed air setup. I'm sure I could think of a few more questions.

Have you done the Medano Pass Primitive Trail? Do you run at CORE? I'd like to get a few of us locals together to do something. MyDinosaur lives close to HR as well. We've met up before to check out our trucks and exchange some parts.

Cheers,
Robert