The Mojave Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps the best treasure in eastern California's Mojave National Preserve is a pair of tracks that cross the middle of it. This famous trail is the Mojave Road, one of the early routes that brought American pioneers to California. This trail is unique in that for most of this 138 mile stretch it is in much the same condition as the pioneers would have found it, and a lot of the trail passes through country that is virtually unchanged since prehistoric times. The road bisects the Preserve, wandering from waterhole to waterhole, and is mostly a 4-wheel-drive trail.

The Mojave Road was a main wagon trail for only a relatively short time, two decades after the civil war, when the railroads came, as the railways created an easier route to the south complete with oases on the bitter-dry deserts. While it was used, the Mojave Road was a route plagued by hostile Indians, a lack of water, long stretches of sand and rough hill climbs. For caravans of travelers and a handful of soldiers, it was a proving ground that brought out the best and the worst of them.

The Mojave Road is a 138-mile stretch of dirt road through the center of the Mojave National Preserve. The road leads from waterhole to waterhole, and is mostly a 4-wheel-drive trail.
Traveling the Mojave Road is a 2- or 3-day excursion, best made with a group of well-equipped off-roaders.

The trip begins at the Colorado River and ends in Afton Canyon near Barstow. The Mojave National Preserve is huge and empty. Except the store at Cima (which may or may not be open) there are no services of any kind available. Take plenty of emergency rations and extra water, and fill up your gas tank. Bring plenty of film for your camera; you'll use a lot.

The indisputable authority on this trip is the book Mojave Road Guide, written by Dennis Casebier. Casebier spent decades traveling the trail and has an insatiable appetite for history and geology. Mile by mile, the book guides travelers over the passes and through the valleys, 138.8 miles.

Links:

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Mojave_Road

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/nov/stories/mojavetrail.html

mpmap.gif

5094.jpg

I have an opportunity to go on a 3-day trip on The Mojave Road next month (Fri 4/16-4/18). Let me know if you are seriously interested and I'll ask the organizer.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
sweet!! I went through a lot of that area a couple months ago. I would def be intereseted. If there is enoght Raptor interest maybe we should plan another trip before it gets really hot out there?

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd be up for that! It's a 3 day trip out in the middle of nowhwere. It's supposed to be beautiful out there. It's a slow trip due to the terrain. The 3 day trip is about 150 miles so only 50 miles a day.

I'm supposed to hear from the expedition leader (about being able to invite others) within the next couple weeks (he's out in the deesert now running around in his RV and driving his sandrail for 8 days).

By the way, I ordered the "Bible" of the Mojave Trail:

5094.jpg

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually the trip organizer just came back from his desert trip and he sent us all an email saying he'd get back to us in a few days. I'm working on it...

I'm going to ask him if we can have our own group following his group (we must have permits for groups of 6 or more - I think that's the number). He's getting a permit for the group. I'll see how quickly he can get back to me so I can let you guys know.

I'm even considering us doing our own trip the same time/days :)

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sweeeeeet.

If there's a choice and if there's flexibility, maybe consider running Sat thru Monday? Joy has a much better chance at joining if that can happen. But, if that's not workable, noooo worries. Friday thru Sunday works too. Just throwing it out there.

Keep us posted!