Grouse Ridge / Bowman Lake - Tahoe National Forest, California

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Trails.com said:
Grouse Ridge / Bowman Lake - Cisco Grove California Off-Road Trails

This drive winds through a spectacular landscape that includes numerous lakes, high cliffs, canyons, a historic town site and cemetery, an awesome 360-degree vista from the 7,707-foot-high Grouse Ridge Lookout (built in 1923), and mountain biking, hiking, canoeing, fishing and camping opportunities. All of it lies within easy reach of Reno, Sacramento and the Bay Area.

Activity Type: Off-Highway Drives
Nearby City: Cisco Grove
Length: 70 total miles
Elevation Gain: Minimal
Trail Type: Point-to-point
Skill Level: Easy
Duration: 1 - 2 days
Season: Best late spring through fall
Other Uses: Camping, Photography, Fishing, Historic Sites, Hiking
Local Contacts: Tahoe National Forest, Nevada City and Sierraville Ranger Districts
Local Maps: Tahoe National Forest
Topo Map: Grouse Ridge / Bowman Lake Topographic Map
Guide Book: Sierra Nevada Byways Guide Book
http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=HGS171-005

This doesn't look all that "Raptor" friendly in the sense of wide open and high speed washes. But it does look to be incredibly beautiful and historic, and easily within our Raptor's capabilities. There are campgrounds right on the water's edge, both primitive and developed, depending on where you stop.

Its recommended this be a two day drive, camping at the middle point (the lake).

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks nice but it's about 8.5 hours one way.

Some trips we'd like to make this year:

* New Mexico
* Bryce & Zion (UT) & the Grand Canyon (AZ)
* Yellowstone & Grand Tetons (WY)
* Yosemite
* Death Valley (CA) again (when it's cooler)
* Anza-Borrego (again and again)
* Others

We can't do them all but we'd like to.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh no! 8.5 hours one way?! Who would ever drive that far to join some buddies for a cool offroad adventure ?? :rolleyes:

:mrgreen:

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh no! 8.5 hours one way?! Who would ever drive that far to join some buddies for a cool offroad adventure ?? :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

lol.jpg

Yeah, I know. I thought about you making that hella drive down.

But I didn't realize you're proposing doing a Raptor get-together. How many NoCal Raptor owners do we have around here?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That pic? Unacceptable :puke:
But I didn't realize you're proposing doing a Raptor get-together. How many NoCal Raptor owners do we have around here?
I'm not necessarily proposing a meet, yet. I put this in the "Destinations" area so (1) I wouldn't loose track of it and (2) so others can maybe chime in if they've run it, thoughts, impressions etc. I'll get a new thread going in the "Upcoming Expedition Announcements and Planning" if/when we start to think about actually doing it.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I'll make the 8.5 hr drive for you Big J!! Your lil buddy Kyle keeps telling me how amazing the area areound Tahoe is in the summer time.

Dan said 'hella' that's hella funny!!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lil buddy

Oh the pictures "lil buddy" brings to mind. Where's my PhotoChop skills when I need it - Kyle and his Lil Buddy Gilligan err Kyle!

images