GPS--how useful?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Personally, for raptor events where the trail is clearly marked, IMHO they are not really needed. You will find your way just fine. If you want to mark sections when you find out after a few laps where you can haul ass and where you need to slow down then it can be helpful.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My biggest reason for ever going to a dedicated gps would be coverage issues. I used motionx for Snoball but I didn't have enough space to download the entire area we were traveling in. Even if I had a data capable iPad it wouldn't have mattered as most areas had weak or no signal. I have a dual gps modual but that's only good for getting your location. My only solution for a tablet would be larger storage so I could pre download the maps. Something like havoc will be fine with the iPad because the course isn't as large so the maps won't take up as much space.

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since I can remove it without having holes in the dash staring me in the face all the time, I'll give it a try with one of the lowrance units and see how i like and if i need/want to keep it. I can always remove it, and put the rubber center tray pad back and it'll be like it never happened...

Thanks for the input guys.

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the iPad have to have cellular signal/service?

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I find the gps useful for trail run type of runs. I have motionX on a 64g iPad that is dedicated to those types of runs. The shorter run tracks or marked trails I don't see the need in them. If you have a real good co pilot then on the first time around they can take good notes and tell you of upcoming hazards.

My ipad is a wireless only ipad and has no cellular service so I bought a good Bluetooth GPS tha connects and I make sure to download the needed maps.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I live out in the SoCal desert. An iPad makes a lot if sense so I tried it. And it failed. Cellular service isn't always available. As a matter if fact, it's almost always UNAVAILABLE. The reason I went with a Lowrance is because of it's built in GPS antenna and ability I easily upload/download a trail. Without the topo maps installed, all you see when you turn on the Lowrance is MAJOR HIGHWAYS, body of water, and current TRAILS. But that's what you need in the desert. No frills. Here's the trail. Turn here. Here's the caution. Watch out.

I will never run without a Lowrance anymore.

slowest member of WCPR

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
does the iPad have to have cellular signal/service?

Yes and no. Without cellular service you cannot view your location without a dedicated gps device like the Dual XGPS. You could just download the maps and route but you wouldn't have live feedback of your location.

Yes: If you want your location without a dedicated gps attachment.

No: if you have a gps attachment or you don't want live location.

FODE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live out in the SoCal desert. An iPad makes a lot if sense so I tried it. And it failed. Cellular service isn't always available. As a matter if fact, it's almost always UNAVAILABLE. The reason I went with a Lowrance is because of it's built in GPS antenna and ability I easily upload/download a trail. Without the topo maps installed, all you see when you turn on the Lowrance is MAJOR HIGHWAYS, body of water, and current TRAILS. But that's what you need in the desert. No frills. Here's the trail. Turn here. Here's the caution. Watch out.

I will never run without a Lowrance anymore.

slowest member of WCPR

Well said .

Sent from my iPhone using My

LindsayEOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to catch up on this thread guys. If I have a 16 gb Samsung Galaxy that I could dedicate to only using it with MotionX or Gaia GPS, would it work? The way I'm understanding is that I wouldn't need an external gps antenna because it has one built in. Am I correct?