GPS--how useful?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the Ghost Town Excursion I ran Motion-X on my iPhone 6 plus, mounted in a cupholder mount. The app worked great! It displayed all the route notes, and the refresh rate was good. Although not as fast as the Lowrance units, it was never a hindrance. The biggest problem I had, was the mount vibrated around a bit, making it hard to read the waypoint/caution notes at times. A better mount might be in my future, but now that I've run this app, I doubt I'll ever get a Lowrance.

App cost me $.99
Topography maps were free, they just take up memory
Mount was $25 from Amazon
81OqkXnEzTL._SL1500_.jpg

VortexTed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Lawrence HDS-7 Gen 3?
There is a one star review about Toppo maps that says this:
I really like this unit. However, I am using it as an off-road gps and purchased the lowrance insight topo software HD. It does not work with the generation 3 units. When I zoom in everything is blurry and will not show basic highways or logging roads. Wish Lowrance would come out with a fix for this.

I was thinking of this until I read this review.
My other thought was the Baja 5 unit along with my iPhone 6S Plus and Gaia APP and window mount them with the RAM unit posted above.