GPS--how useful?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there, of those of you who have after market GPS units in your trucks how necessary/helpful are they for raptor events? I've got one and a mount in my dining room and I'm on the fence about installing it...Im just not sure how necessary it is and what the purpose is on raptor events.. I'm looking for experience, tips, thoughts etc on GPS for this use. Thanks in advance M

Last edited:

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So far back country navigator has for filed all my needs not sure I will ever install a low rance unless I get an extremely good deal on one.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same here for an iPad with motionx and just converted to Gaia GPS. Hadn't failed me yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

How is gps used at the events?

Do you mark the course during a parade lap so you have it? Is the course shared ahead of time and you load it up? Is the gps just a shtf tool?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends on the event. Most of it is pre planned by the organizers and sent out to participants. Night raptor runs are that way, same as glre events and raptor excursion events as well

For NR runs we use them as a guideline for our routes and mark intersections, hospitals etc with out planned route.

I can send you an example you can look up in google earth just drop me a pm with your email

Keep in mind lowrance will not show trails / minor roads. Only major highways etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the event. Most of it is pre planned by the organizers and sent out to participants. Night raptor runs are that way, same as glre events and raptor excursion events as well Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. So that said. You would upload the course into whatever gps you have and use it that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner