Got Invited to a Trail Trip Raptors Can't Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got invited to run the Dusy-Ershim Trail with some Jeepers but I can't take my Raptor.

Overview: The Dusy/Ershim Trail is located 77 miles northeast of Fresno, California. Mountains and lots of lakes . The heavy snows close many of the trails in the area including the Dusy/Ershim Trail during most of the year. Usually open July - September. Open to both street legal and green sticker (OHV) vehicles.

Some challenging trails for Jeeps and very beautiful scenery.

These links are worth checking out.

Makes me wish (again) that Ford produced an all-new Ranger Raptor! This would be an awesome trip if our massive Raptors could "fit" (check out the Jeeps squeezing between the trees).

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?98969-Project-JK-Dusy-Ershim-Trail-Run

http://www.californiajeeper.com/dusy_ershim/review.htm#Location

main.php?g2_view=core.jpg

main.php?g2_view=core.jpg

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Raptor :mrgreen: since I'm staying home (not going). Looks like a great trip - someone tell Ford it's time to put the Raptor on a diet :) (Ranger Raptor!)

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much of the trail is "too narrow" Dan? In my experience, there's almost always a bypass for the really ugly stuff.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I want to agree with you Jason but unfortunately there are many trails our Raptors can't do that Jeeps can. If you get a chance take a look at the pictures in those two links and you'll see some of the reasons why.

As you know the primary issues with our Raptors versus vehicles like Jeeps is they're longer (and much longer wheelbase), wider (very wide), have longer front and rear overhangs and as a result , have smaller approach, departure and breakover angles.

That isn't meant to sound negative in anyway as I love the Raptor and I certainly could have purchased a Jeep. Though I would like to buy a used J/K and build it up for these kinds of trails I'm very happy not being able to do trails that require lifted, big-tired Jeeps like Dusy-Ershim, Moab, etc.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh I understand Dan. But even in those pics I can see ways around the really tough stuff.

I dunno. What the hell, right? Go with a buddy (when is it? :)) and if you have to turn around, no biggie right? Don't know till ya try...

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I've been on that trail up to Thompson Lake and that's nothing you want a Raptor to mess with. The jeeps in the pics were coming in @ 88" wide but mot of the width is tires. The worst part is a 2 mile uphill that is loose and VERY rocky...My uncle had an '89 tacoma with a lift and air lockers $2000+ in body damage. If you take a look at those pics every one of those jeeps had some battle scars....

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been on that trail up to Thompson Lake and that's nothing you want a Raptor to mess with. The jeeps in the pics were coming in @ 88" wide but mot of the width is tires. The worst part is a 2 mile uphill that is loose and VERY rocky...My uncle had an '89 tacoma with a lift and air lockers $2000+ in body damage. If you take a look at those pics every one of those jeeps had some battle scars....
Yeesh. Good enough for me.