Cross Country Road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikelivingstrong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am most likely getting out of the military next summer when I get out I want to take my Raptor from coast to coast and back. I plan on taking like 2+ months. I start on the east coast and drive to the west coast travel up the west coast then back across and back down. I want to know what stops you guys recommend and places to offroad along the way. I know for sure I want to stop are the Grand canyon yellowstone and places such as those. Please any ideas are welcome as I want to plan this out and make it a trip of a life time!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am most likely getting out of the military next summer when I get out I want to take my Raptor from coast to coast and back. I plan on taking like 2+ months. I start on the east coast and drive to the west coast travel up the west coast then back across and back down. I want to know what stops you guys recommend and places to offroad along the way. I know for sure I want to stop are the Grand canyon yellowstone and places such as those. Please any ideas are welcome as I want to plan this out and make it a trip of a life time!
well i am in ca. and there are a few places to go. the one nearest to me is hollister hills, but the big one is oceano sand dunes (used to be called pismo sand dunes) im sure others will recommend other places as well.
as far as sightseeing goes, if you are coming to ca. on highway 80 into s.f. then you have to stop at the golden gate bridge. if you go to the hills on the sausilito side of the bridge it goes very high and you get a wide clear view (if no fog) of san francisco, oakland, and the whole bay area. if you do go to pismo then you can stop by hearse castle too. but i guess it all depends on where you plan on entering ca and leaving ca

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off- thanks for your service. Great idea to see the country you have been serving.
You have to see Moab UT. We spent just under two weeks there, the scenery is great. Lots of wheeling. Also pass thru Sedona AZ, more red rock scenery.

Last edited:

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hit me up when the time comes... Seriously! I'll take you on a great day trip, knowing some of the bed trails for these trucks in SoCal... Maybe we can even incorporate it into your route, so you still make road trip progress!

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip. Jealous. Just returned to Houston with my boys after a week at the Grand Canyon North Rim. Go to the north side which will give you a chance to go to Toroweap and Pt. Sublime, which are fun drives in the Raptor. As to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, we went there last summer. In SW Wyoming, go to Killpecker Sand Dunes. Fun drive to get there and the dunes are a blast.

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you come through Michigan hit Silver Lake State Park. If you go up to the upper peninsula of Michigan there are tons of two track along the rivers and dirt roads for fun Raptor runs.

Jhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but the big one is oceano sand dunes (used to be called pismo sand dunes) im sure others will recommend other places as well.

Yeah, Pismo/Oceano should be a point of interest for u to stop at. I've been there a few times, i recommend bringing a tent so u can camp out on the beach. Also be careful, there are a lot of ways to seriously mess ur truck up out there.

I've driven my raptor cross country and one of my favorite places is Bryce Canyon UT. Way more spectacular than the Grand Canyon in my book. Plus u can take my favorite highway from there. Route 89 in UT is a beautiful old highway that runs right through some awesome cliffs and canyons. Just take it off of I70, stop at Bryce, then continue on 89 till u get to route 9 and it will take u back to I15 which runs to Vegas (sounds confusing but its simple on a map).

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
holy crap you're right there. my parents live in arroyo grande. evertime we visit we always go to the dunes. when i get my truck we have to meet up there sometime

Jhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy crap you're right there. my parents live in arroyo grande. evertime we visit we always go to the dunes. when i get my truck we have to meet up there sometime

would be fun but just a little too late. I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB but i just got assigned to Cheyenne WY

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hopefully not part of that failed rocket launch project? my nephew is getting ready to join the air force and his class went down there to watch the launch but they didnt launch that day for some reason.
well next year i will be in yellowstone and estes park colorado so maybe then