Books! Offroading Guides, Trail Books, Etc. - Books for Raptor Owners (offroad)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been wanting to buy Backcountry Adventures Southern California: The Ultimate Guide to the Backcountry for Anyone With a Sport Utility Vehicle (Paperback) but it's out of print.

icker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I found out today that there are 3 smaller books that breakdown the content of that book and these and other books are available.

"Each 4WD Trails book listed below contains routes that are found in the Adventures series in a more compact format. These four-color guides focus mainly on trail directions, while still providing limited historic information."

California Trails Desert Region

CA%20Desert%20rb%20sm.jpg

California Trails South Coast Region

CA%20South%20Coast%20rb%20sm.jpg

California Trails Central Mountain Region

CA%20Central%20Mountains%20rb%20sm.jpg

And there are other books for California (for you NoCal'ers) as well as books for Arizona, Nevada and Utah.

Link: http://www.adlerpublishing.com/products.aspx?catID=2

These books are $24.95 but on the above publisher's site they're 25% off ($18.71 each). BUT, Amazon.com has them for even less at $16.47 each.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1930193246/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These are all good resources (some of which I own).

If you're having trouble finding one in print for your area (or even if you're not), check out www.Trails.com. Its a pay for service that lets you search an area for all sorts of outdoor activities, including OHV. Once you pull up a trail, you'll find user reviews, maps, satellite images, pictures, summaries... and digital versions of pages out of these very books, ready to view and/or print for your specific trail. I don't touch my hard copies anymore because Trails.com seems to have not only more info, but more up to date info as well.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These are all good resources (some of which I own).

If you're having trouble finding one in print for your area (or even if you're not), check out www.Trails.com. Its a pay for service that lets you search an area for all sorts of outdoor activities, including OHV. Once you pull up a trail, you'll find user reviews, maps, satellite images, pictures, summaries... and digital versions of pages out of these very books, ready to view and/or print for your specific trail. I don't touch my hard copies anymore because Trails.com seems to have not only more info, but more up to date info as well.

Thanks for the link Jason. The only problem with that is what about when you're away from an internet connection? :) I think it's good to have a trail guide with you.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Jason. The only problem with that is what about when you're away from an internet connection? :) I think it's good to have a trail guide with you.
No doubt about that!

But I tend to plan my "outings", making sure I have printouts from the website. In effect, I have the "trail guide" that way (not the whole guide obviously, but the part that matters for the excursion). I also try to make sure I have hard copy maps of the areas I'm in as well. National Geographic maps (aka "Trails Illustrated") are very good to have on hand, and I tend to just leave them in the truck at all times.