WSI, RPG and ICON present: The SnoBall 500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
why would then not include the hitch pin? sounds like a failure waiting to happen...

Otherwise, something similar will probably make my recovery gear.

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why would then not include the hitch pin? sounds like a failure waiting to happen...

Otherwise, something similar will probably make my recovery gear.

It removes liability from them? if it shears, then its your problem because you bought it somewhere else

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stormy Kromers and Baffin boots! I have a pair of Baffin but no Kromer or Carhartt. Kromers are made by Jacquart Fabrics out in Ironwood but ya can find them all over. I think you need a Kromer!

I really don't think my accent is that thick. :p Roger's canuck accent has me beat any day! Jugg - did you hear an accent on me?? I will admit to saying "ou" words funny but that's it - house, about, out, etc.

i honestly couldnt tell lol, now im gonna be listening for it this trip and rag on ya for it. :idiot:

yeah im thinking my usual of 2 pairs of sweatpants under my jeans probably wont cut it up there... so along with a gopro, race radio, gas cans and such, some new snowpants and maybe a coat will be in order aswell.... damn this trip is getting esssspensive!!! also seems like a good time to look into the winch ive been wanting.... damn.... more money... lol

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I'm thinking rear recovery techniques will be key. Perhaps a few of us should have a recover hook to be able to install into the hitch of a stuck vehicle.

Also, anyone else in the run have a winch?

I'll be installing a winch here in the next couple of weeks.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are you guys looking into winch wise? I have the Recon10,500 lb with synthetic rope. I used the outlaw winch mount. I am still working on a short write up and lots of pics. The install was a big pain in the arse, get a friend to help you. Also, if you are thinking of flanking the hawse with lights, buy the WSI bracket when you do the install. I think SDHQ makes a plate with a point to mount lights, but their plate is not as beefy as the outlaw plate.

Joe

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
where do i acquire Krogers and Baffins? I feel like those are things i need to get before i head up...

Krogers is a Grocery Store up here....

Baffins are my super thick winter boots

Kromers are hats mad in the UP.

Caps - Men's » Stormy Kromer

And don't forget the Vernors and Kogels on the way up too

---------- Post added at 07:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

What are you guys looking into winch wise? I have the Recon10,500 lb with synthetic rope. I used the outlaw winch mount. I am still working on a short write up and lots of pics. The install was a big pain in the arse, get a friend to help you. Also, if you are thinking of flanking the hawse with lights, buy the WSI bracket when you do the install. I think SDHQ makes a plate with a point to mount lights, but their plate is not as beefy as the outlaw plate.

Joe

I am probably going to take the winch off my Hummer for the trip. It is a Rugged Ridge and I have been real happy with it. A lot cheaper than the "popular" brands.

Some times I get accused of being from Minnesota, My Yooper speak has almost been lost to SEM babble

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Believe it or not I have a couple of serious questions..

1) since the size and weight of our trucks floatation is not going to be an option. So we are going to be plowing/bombing the trails. Is the lead truck going to switch out to cool off?

2) the front of our trucks have really open front ends. Are people installing winter shields to prevent snow clogged radiators?

3) since we will be pushing hard through snow all day, and having everything snow/ice covered over night, what about block heaters.

4) if we do go how many trucks will have winches, just in case.

5) the secret friday event in detroit going to be early? Might need to know to arrange more time off to make it up there in time.

-Greg

OP
OP
Kanakry

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Believe it or not I have a couple of serious questions..

1) since the size and weight of our trucks floatation is not going to be an option. So we are going to be plowing/bombing the trails. Is the lead truck going to switch out to cool off?

2) the front of our trucks have really open front ends. Are people installing winter shields to prevent snow clogged radiators?

3) since we will be pushing hard through snow all day, and having everything snow/ice covered over night, what about block heaters.

4) if we do go how many trucks will have winches, just in case.

5) the secret friday event in detroit going to be early? Might need to know to arrange more time off to make it up there in time.

-Greg

#1- Honestly it all depends on the amount of snow. I have driven these trails/road in the winter and never went into 4wd. Other times you have to litterly launch of some of the drifts to get through. I have done this many times so more than likely I will be in the lead the whole trip. That doesn't mean that things change.

#2 I highly doubt there is going to be that much snow to clog the radiator. I am not doing anything of the sort. So if I'm not then more than likely every other truck will be fine.

#3 I lived UP there for over 10 years. None of our trucks or cars had engine block heaters. One of the issues you will run into is plugging them in. None of the hotels have a place to plug your truck in over night.

#4 I know for a fact that Joe has one. Ironman says hes installing one in the next few weeks. The second truck in the trails needs to have a winch incase I get stuck nose first into something. So either Joe or Ironman is more than likely going to be the truck behind me.

#5 If you plan on attending the Super secret event on Friday I would plan on arriving in the Detroit area on thursday night. The time of the event will probably be around 10am. We would attend the event and leave around 230 to make our way to the UP. Plus on thursday night we can all hang out and have a huge install party at my garage. We can drink some PBR's in preperation for the run. I can provide anyone how needs a place to stay the number to the comfort in close to my place.

Last edited:

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
Holy shit whts up with all the worrying. Yall need to come to canada and then really do the trails here.
Next winter its gonna be a 2000 km trip one way on the trans taiga road. That eill be a challenge.

We recently had some snow up here and i was bombing it doing 130 through slush and drifts no problem!!!
I got a winch mounted on a plate to go into front or rear hitch reciever. Have to finish modding my bumper so ill have something to hook it up to in the front.

Was debating to bring my tracked can am 1000, got a plow and everythang on it. That way if you all get stuck i can flip you guys the bird and cross back to canada uahhahahaahahhahaah

Last edited: