WSI, RPG and ICON present: The SnoBall 500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kanakry

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alright it appears I need to clear some things up.

This is an offroad run. The only sections that are planned to be on paved roads right now is the section from Baraga, MI to Copper Harbor to Houghton.

90% of this run will be offroad/dirt roads not driving down highways.

For instance here is some of the route for day one. This is one of the sections of the routes that I have planned that is saved on my phone.

ScreenShot.png

Last edited:

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my buddy posted this on a Jeep forum and I thought it might help some folks out.

*FREE* Topographical Maps For Garmin GPS\'s

I have an old Garmin Streetpilot 2610. I was able to download topo maps, snowmobile trails and other trails to my GPS. I've used this in Indiana in the past and well, it can't hurt. I'm used to navigating with a compass and a topo map, but like I said, it can't hurt to have this. Just an FYI if anyone is interested.

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody decide what were doing for radios?

I'd be up for a group buy from Treypal if anyone else is up for it.

OP
OP
Kanakry

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am waiting to hear back from Trey.

The lead and Chase truck will more than likely be getting radios from Trey. It just depends if it will be the Wouxon 6 or 3.

OP
OP
Kanakry

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Todd,
I talked to Tim today and showed him this thread via email. He seems very excited, he is going to get in contact with WSI about some items.

OP
OP
Kanakry

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Crap I messed up the main thread. Please hold tight

Here is an updated list of requirement items

Every truck must have these items at a minimum before participating in the SnoBall 500
1. Working 4wd
2. All maintenance up to date and no major issues
3. Decent tires: We’re not going to go around and checking everyone’s tires but if you have very little remaining tread do us a favor and get them replaced before the SnoBall 500.
4. Spare tire/tires secured and located in the bed of the truck. Contact WSI for mounting solutions
5. 2 bags of sand or cat litter
6. One shovel
7. Tow strap at least 20’ and rated to pull the truck
8. Winter boots: Lacrosse, Muck, Sorels, etc. You may have to get out into very deep snow.
9. Winter clothing: Just like above it is more than likely going to be cold and you will have to get out of your vehicle.

Recommended additional items
1. You do not need a Co-pilot but it is recommended to help with communication traffic and navigating the trails/roads. Plus it’s more fun with someone in the truck with you.
2. VHF/FRS radio
3. Navigation: Lowrance, Garmin, Android tablet with an offroad map app.
4. 5 gallons extra gas
5. A Come along
6. Floor jack and some wood blocks to help support it in the snow
7. Auxiliary lighting. While it can’t be used on road it would be a great benefit on the ORV Routes, Forrest Service roads.

The reason for the tire/tires being located in the bed is so that the tires are easily accessible and so that if stuck in snow with a flat you can actually get to the spare.

Trust me if you get a flat you are going to want to change it as quick as possible. It is going to be rather cold and snowy.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to throw this out there too.

Not sure how long we're going to be stopping for while in the outback, at least stops that are planned. We could also have stops that are unplanned, IE we're sitting around while a tire gets changed and the such.

I plan on bringing a backpacking stove so if/when we do stop, I can take 5 minutes and heat up some water for a hot drink. Might be nice to have a hot cup of coffee or hot chocolate considering the long days we'll have. I know we'll be going through towns and what not, but just something I plan on bringing. I'd rather have it and not need it than need/want it and not have it.

I also suggest everyone bring a roll of toilet paper and stuff to clean up. Nothing worse than passing last nights beer and chicken wings in the middle of the forest with nothing more than Birdman's old t-shirt to wipe with! I'm really packing for this trip like I would a winter camping trip. Better safe than sorry!