Sonora Rally - New Safari Class

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this out, this is a new class in the Sonora Rally which is part of the Dakar series. Rocky point to Elgolfo. Must be able to pronounce bivouac (and includes race stickers), and only 2k. Let me know if anyone wants to pony up the other $1000, and a truck (cause mine sure ain't race ready as would probably be needed). Just kidding, just thought the Dakar fans out there would find this an interesting entry into the world of multi-day rally racing.

http://sonorarally.com/entry/index.html

New Safari Class:
The new Safari Class is intended as an introduction to navigation rally. It is a guided trip, designed for street legal 4 wheel vehicles (Raptors, Jeeps and mild prerunners). You will not be running the stages at speed or scored in results. The trip will be at an easy pace to learn how roadbooks and navigation all work while enjoying the Sonora Rally experience.
Safari Entry Fee: $2,000
4 day guided trip that parallels the Sonora Rally
Street legal 4 wheel vehicles only with proof of Mexican auto insurance
Includes unique road books for portions of selected stages
Includes tracker and rally comp rental
Includes Sonora Rally Safari decals
Learn roadbook navigation with an expert without the stress of competing
Drive portions of the Sonora Rally stages and spectate the event in remote locations
Includes entry to the bivouacs
An optional hotel package is available for rooms at the start, finish and one of the bivouacs (extra charge)
You must be prepared to camp in the bivouac two of the nights
Must have a vhf radio programmed to Sonora Rally frequency
Limited to 6 vehicles with 2 persons per vehicle (supplemental charge for 3rd person)

Last edited:

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd take you up on that, Mat. BUUUUUTTTT, I lack booth disposable income and disposable Raptors for such an event. Plus, what fun would it be going down there and taking it easy?? Then again, If you've got the cash, sounds like a cool idea.

OP
OP
MatMan

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I read it correctly, the safari class does take it easy (not contenders for winning, because they do t follow the full race course). Like a entry level class for those thinking about being a rally driver.

I'd love to know how a raptor would do in this format/event, in the hands of a amateur like me. I get this way after watching every Dakar, those guys make it look sooo easy.

We could win like the Jamaican Olympic bobsled team.

Yes normal guys like you and me Otis, lol.

Last edited:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bivvv...yew...ack. Sign me up :ROFLJest:

I'd love to know how a raptor would do in this format/event, in the hands of a amateur like me. I get this way after watching every Dakar, those guys make it look sooo easy.

Ditto, especially seeing those crazy Russian Kamaz monstrosities, they're probably just a few pounds over a Supercrew curb weight...