Silver Lake Sand Dunes Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Wisconsin, and needless to say, we don't have some of the awesome areas that those of you do in the South and the West for riding off-road. The week of June 27th (June 27th through July 1st) my wife and myself are going to Silver Lake Sand Dunes Area in Lower Michigan. As far as I know, it's the only sand dunes we have up here that you can legally ride your Raptor, ATV's, Dirt Bikes, etc. The website is: http://www.thinkdunes.com/sand-dunes-7/ We have been talking about going for several years, and now that we have our Raptor, well it's time to go. We also will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary on the 30th and we can't think of a better way to celebrate than doing some riding. We'll be taking our sport ATV's as well so we can ride those too. We have made our reservations and also will be taking the ferry (SS Badger) across Lake Michigan on the way there to save driving time getting there http://www.ssbadger.com/home.aspx We wanted to spend the entire week, but in the hotel rates are kind of steep, so we scaled back to the four days. There are campgrounds available in the area, but we kind of wanted to treat ourselves, being our 20th anniversary & all. We just thought we'd throw the invite out there for those of you who are in this part of the country (and even those who aren't and want to drive up)! We have the entire week off, and left our plans kind of open-ended, but will be making the drive back over the top of Lake Michigan, possibly staying in the UP of Michigan for a night or two, since we snowmobile up there in the Winter but never checked it out with the ATV's in the Summer. Anybody seriously interested can either reply here or PM me and we'll firm up some plans to meet. With my workload I've had the past year at my job, I know I'm OVERDUE for this and really looking forward to it!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a great time! Make sure you're prepared - don't go alone, take a recovery strap (no metal hooks/ends), shovel, air compressor (for airing back up), etc. You might also want to talk to others on this forum who have run their Raptors in the dunes as I'm sure they will have some great tips for you.

Enjoy yourselves and be safe!

Raptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We used to go wheeling at Silver Lake when I lived in Michigan. Silver lake is awesome!!!! You will have a blast!! both in the truck and on the ATV's Don't forget to put flags on the truck and Atv's (orange flag on a fiberglass pole, 6 ft).

OP
OP
JohntheDrummer

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We used to go wheeling at Silver Lake when I lived in Michigan. Silver lake is awesome!!!! You will have a blast!! both in the truck and on the ATV's Don't forget to put flags on the truck and Atv's (orange flag on a fiberglass pole, 6 ft).

Thanks Raptor1! Are we better off buying the flags locally (home)? I was thinking of buying flag set-ups for both ATV's at my local place because I get a discount, but if you can rent them for a reasonable fee at the park, we could do that, instead of buying flag set-ups we may never use again, you know? I see by looking at pictures (Google pics) that all trucks have the flag on the front bumper of the truck. What's the deal with that and where do I get those? I really don't want to have to drill holes in my bumper to mount a flag bracket. How do they attach to the vehicle? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I just like to have these kind of details worked out before we go. This is going to cost us a bundle and I'm trying to save where I can. I know how resort towns can over-charge for the little things like that. Any advice from someone like you (who's been there) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. We're pretty fired up about going.

OP
OP
JohntheDrummer

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody posted this link before...I think ChadB...mounts to your receiver.

http://clickwhip.com/

That would be ideal, except for the following rule I just found on their website:

Safety is a significant issue at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes. All vehicles entering the dunes must have mounted to their front bumper a 10-foot mast holding an international orange flag. With the rolling terrain, spotting a flag coming over a hill can avert collisions. The flags and masts are sold at many area businesses. Vehicles must have seat belts and passengers must be belted at all times. Drivers using their own vehicles should reduce the air pressure in their tires to 10 pounds per tire.

Believe me, I'd rather have the thing on my receiver. The rule kind of sucks, because how does one avoid scratching up their hood from the mast of the flag?