Raptor Run Northern or Central California Style?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The SoCal guys are killin me with having parks like Anza and Octillo in their back yard. And while I've been able to join them a couple times, its almost impossible to make the 8+hr drive (one way) just to get there, on a regular basis.

MagicMtnDan has set the bar pretty high with these "Raptor Run"s. They're well organized, safe, and most importantly a REALLY good time. I'd like to follow his model, and I don't mind taking point getting something similar organized in the NorCal or CenCal areas... the only problem is, I honestly have no idea what, if anything, we have around here that would compare to runs they have down there. Stuff we can head out into for a couple days, that could include camping one or even two nights? High speed? Slow speed? A mix?

Anyone know? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Like I said, I'm happy to take point on this, scout out the area(s), and try to get something organized. I just need help finding a good couple of spots a bit closer, say maybe 4ish hours one way from the Bay Area?

Any thoughts?

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hows about just outside of Reno? I have a few ideas. Shoot me a PM & we can do some planning.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good for you Jason - take matters in your own hands and get it done!

I'll do some more research and checking with the NoCal offroaders I know to see what they suggest. Here are a few sources of potential answers:

http://www.all-offroad.com/DirtBikes/Where2Go/California_Riding_Areas.html

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/noc...nia_4x4_Trails_Maps_Where_To_Go_4Wheeling.htm

Trails at La Grange OHV Park

• La Grange Off-Highway Vehicle Park is located 2.5 miles south of La Grange on Highway J-59. The park is approximately 31 miles east of Modesto in central California. The park features 126 acres of trails open to motorcycles, trucks and jeeps with four-wheel drive, dune buggies, mini-bikes and ATVs. The park has sand drags, mud pits, a motocross track, beginners track, intermediate track and a staging area with camping, picnic tables, barbecues and restrooms. The off-highway park is open daily from sunrise to sundown.
    La Grange OHV Park
    c/o Stanislaus County Department of Parks and Recreation
    3800 Cornucopia Way, Suite C
    Modesto, CA 95358
    209-853-2448
    stancounty.com
    Read more: Off-Road Trails in Central California | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7181656_off_road-trails-central-california.html#ixzz1JY7IYWOe

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to LaGrange with my ATV club. Not a lot there & wasnt worth driving from Sacramento. 126 Acres gets used up real fast.
Prior to moving to NV I lived in Sac for 26 years, 12 years of which were spent on an ATV so I have a pretty good idea of whats there & most of it is tight forest trails/ roads. Hollister Hills has a 4WD area, but from what I have seen pictures of, it's pretty tight-rock crawley sort of stuff.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys. There's stuff out there. We just need to find it :)

Nv, I'll shoot you a PM.

I've been to Hollister several times and there's really nothing for the Raptor out there. There's one or two nice (NOT hi speed) runs, but you can do them both in maybe one or two hours tops. Otherwise its a Jeep's world.

wbimota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will visit San Jose area sometime soon, so I hope I can join you guys!!
Please post your plan when you set schedule!!

SVTCALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SoCal guys are killin me with having parks like Anza and Octillo in their back yard. And while I've been able to join them a couple times, its almost impossible to make the 8+hr drive (one way) just to get there, on a regular basis.

I agree! I love the anza borrego trips but it just isn't practical to make that drive every time.

Let's do this! Let me know if you need any help scouting potential spots or any research that needs to be done.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right on 'CALI! We're definitely going to make something happen.

Nv is looking into peicing something together. Maybe a forest/desert combo deal in the greater Reno area.

Also, I found a park called Frank Raines OHV Park via http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/California -> http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/FrankRaines/index.shtml (thanks for the link Dan!) thats not more than 2 hours from my front door. I think I'll make the trip out there tomorrow and take a look. The link makes it look a little too wild for our Raptors, but maybe it's grown up since and/or maybe there's some stuff enough to fill an afternoon / evening campout / morning expedition then head home. I'll let ya know what I find.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Keep on looking for potential - some of us SoCal'ers may just come up and join you.

As you know, there's no replacing ABDSP/Ocotillo Wells or Afton Canyon, etc. You guys need to make the "pilgrimage" at least once a year! Meanwhile we need to plan an expedition to Utah, etc.